SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — On the 12th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, word comes that a commemorative license plate program may come back after years of mismanagement.READ MORE: Boy, 9, Dies From Injuries Suffered In East Bay Area Train Crash
The scholarship for victims of the attacks was put in place shortly after Sept. 11, but the funds were raided by both Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gov. Jerry Brown.
Since 2006, only a small fraction of the approximately $15 million raised was used for scholarships. The rest of the funds went to patch the state’s budget crisis.
“In statute the governor does have the authority to borrow funds from these types of programs,” said DMV spokesman Mike Marando.
Since then the scholarship program expired.READ MORE: Homicide Investigators Investigate Suspicious Death On Village Centre Drive In Sacramento
Republican Sen. Ted Gains of Rocklin is trying to breathe new life into the scholarship program. He believes the inscription “We will never forget” must once again be embraced by lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.
The bill has passed the senate and is on its way to the Assembly.
“We saw this as an opportunity to make it good, make it right, and we’re looking forward to working on legislation.”
Part of the problem was many of the victims’ children were not notified of the benefit.MORE NEWS: Electra Fire: Mandatory Evacuation Zone Expanded In Amador, Warnings In Effect For Calaveras
Gaines says he won’t introduce the new legislation until next January, and if it passes, it won’t go into effect until the next fiscal year.