WINTERS (CBS13) – Firefighters are on the scene of a four-alarm fire that can be seen for miles in rural Yolo County.
The fire is burning at Hay Kingdom, off of Highway 505 in Winters. It started just before 11 p.m. Thursday, and is so big and would take so much water to extinguish that firefighters are going to let it burn itself out, which could take days, firefighters say.
“It’s a massive amount of fire. You think what you burn in your fireplace and multiply it by 1,000. It’s a hot fire, a very smoky fire. It’s difficult to try to extinguish,” said Vacaville Fire Dept. Chief Doug Rogers.
The fire has burned 10 acres of hay and structures and equipment. Damage from the fire is estimated at $6 million.
Firefighters will continuously monitor the fire to ensure it doesn’t spread any farther.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Small Plane Crashes In West Davis: Pilot Taken To Hospital
- Winters Parents Condemn District Over Middle School ‘Hit-List’
- Winters Middle School Students Put On ‘Hit List,’ Some Parents Outraged Over How They Were Notified
- Smoke And Haze From Fires Has Chilling Effect On Activities In Winters
- County Fire Prompts Winters To Cancel Fireworks Show