San Francisco right tackle Anthony Davis was able to drive home following a cross-country flight from New York last month despite feeling “loopy” from a concussion he didn’t initially realize was so severe.

“After the game, adrenaline is still pumping. You’re just a little loopy,” Davis said, sitting at his locker Thursday.

READ MORE: Jays Edge A's 2-1 To Snap 5-Game Skid

Davis is still experiencing symptoms, though he wouldn’t specify except to say “not 100 percent.”

He said he took an elbow to the head during the Nov. 16 victory over the Giants. Davis hasn’t played in two games since, and leaves a big void on the 49ers offensive line. His status for Sunday’s game at Oakland is unclear, though considering Davis hasn’t practiced it would appear to be a longshot. He did lift weights and do cardio work Wednesday as he checked off a step in the concussion protocol to be medically cleared to return.

“He took a step forward yesterday,” offensive coordinator Greg Roman said Thursday.

Davis said: “It was good. I felt like part of the team again.”

49ers owner John York has been active on the NFL Owners Health and Safety Advisory Committee, and recently spoke to Davis in passing.

“The only thing he said was `be smart about it, make sure I’m 100 percent,'” Davis said.

He experienced what he described as a “white fog” in the days after the head injury and said he has yet to be symptom-free. A first-round draft pick in 2010 out of Rutgers, he started every game his first four seasons but has been limited to five games this season.

READ MORE: Nearly 10K Pounds Of Illegal Fireworks Seized In San Joaquin County In May, June

“It was a concussion. It’s not fun. It’s scary when your brain’s not working the way it’s supposed to. And the culture of this league is you’re a big, tough guy,” Davis said. “It was like a white fog, when you look out it’s a white fog. Or (it’s tough) just having a simple conversation. You just feel slowed down. It’s scary, but that’s only like the first three-four days you feel the intensity of it. Each day it gets better.”

After the game, Davis posted on Twitter that coach Jim Harbaugh hollered to get him off the field. The concussion happened on the second to last play of the game.

He tweeted: “I got a spinning elbow to the face. I was literally knocked out for a sec. I’m officially an NFL player now. … I remember waking up to Harbaugh saying `get him up and off the field!, We don’t want the clock to stop!’ lol Can’t make this (s—) up.”

Left guard Mike Iupati, a fellow first-round pick with Davis in 2010, suffered a concussion in October and Davis has spoken with him about how quickly his symptoms subsided.

“You start to get a little nervous,” Davis said of the comparison. “Hopefully, they’ll be gone soon.”

The 25-year-old Davis, 6-foot-5 and 323 pounds, said he appreciates the NFL’s focus on the serious nature of concussions.

“It was less things put in place to protect the players, so I guess I am fortunate that we have those things in place now,” he said. “I always realized we put our health on the line every week. It’s up to the players to take it seriously. I’ve always felt that way.”

MORE NEWS: Thursday's Show Info. (7/7/22)

More 49ers News
[display-posts category=”49ers” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”6”]