SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Federal officials are looking for the person responsible for two pipe bombs discovered along Sacramento freeways.
The first pipe bomb was found near Highway 50 and Stockton Boulevard last month, and the second was found on Monday on the northbound Arden Way exit of the Capital City Freeway.READ MORE: 16-Year-Old Boy's Body Recovered After Drowning At Lake Berryessa
The California Highway Patrol say there is little doubt that the two devices were set there on purpose.
Monday’s discovery created a traffic nightmare, shutting down northbound Business 80 at Arden Way. Nobody was injured, but traffic was diverted for hours after the discovery of the explosive.
“Definitely could have killed or maimed somebody, so that raises our level of concern and alertness to this,” said CHP officer Chad Hertzell.
That bomb was found by a Caltrans crew working in the area right before rush hour.READ MORE: Report: USC, UCLA Planning Move From PAC-12 To Big Ten In 2024
“This was intentionally put there,” he said.
Now law enforcement says the bomb could be the work of the same person that planted one at the Stockton Boulevard onramp to Highway 50 in March. In that case, an officer located the device before it was detonated.
“[The device] does look very similar to the device off of Highway 50 and Stockton Boulevard about a month ago,” he said.
Psychologist Dr. Andrew Mendonsa says if the incidents are connected, the person may be frustrated the first two were discovered before they could cause harm.
“You’re looking at someone who’s willing to do a tremendous amount of harm to a large amount of people,” he said. “Usually, if the first statement didn’t work and the second statement didn’t work, you’re going to be looking at someone who is going to be trying to up the ante tremendously.”MORE NEWS: How We Got Addicted To Using Q-Tips The Wrong Way
The CHP is working with Caltrans to make sure crews are safe, and they’re asking for the public to report anything suspicious left along freeways to 911 immediately.