(CBSSacramento.com) – California are using their cellphones illegally more behind the wheel this year as compared to last year, according to a recent study.

In 2015, 9.2 percent of drivers were spotted on their cellphones while driving — a 39 percent increase from 2014, when only 6.6 percent of drivers were seen using their phones, according to a study conducted by the Office of Traffic Safety and the University of California, Berkeley.

READ MORE: ‘George Floyd Would Still Be Alive If He Looked Like Me’: Gov. Newsom, Others React To Derek Chauvin Guilty Verdict

“It’s shocking that nearly 10 percent of motorists were observed using their cellphones while driving a motor vehicle, a potentially-lethal combination,” said Office of Traffic Safety Director Ronda Craft. “We will continue our aggressive public outreach campaign and our partnership with law enforcement to educate the public about the dangers of those who drive distracted and put the lives of others at risk.”

READ MORE: Derek Chauvin Guilty On All 3 Counts In George Floyd’s Death

RELATED: Father Who Fled Afghanistan To Escape ISIS Killed By Distracted Driver In Sacramento

In April, 250 law enforcement agencies in California reportedly wrote more than 46,000 tickets to drivers who used their cellphones while driving. Although there were fewer tickets than average handed out for handheld talking, there was a 35 percent increase in tickets handed out for texting.

MORE NEWS: Person Suspected Of Shooting At Roseville Police Officer After Attempted Traffic Stop

A man who fled his village in Afghanistan to escape ISIS was hit and killed by a distracted driver on Sunday while he and his 8-year-old son were riding their bicycles in the Arden Arcade area of Sacramento. The boy was badly injured. The driver, Desmen Lashonne Carrino, 25, stayed at the scene. CHP says he could face criminal charges.