The SEC landed eight players on the NCAA’s annual consensus All-American team, including Alabama’s Heisman Trophy running back Derrick Henry. No other conference had more than four consensus All-Americans, with the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 each landing four players on the list.
Henry was joined by Alabama teammates Ryan Kelly (center) on offense and defensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson and linebacker Reggie Ragland on defense to give Alabama three consensus All-Americans. No other program in the country had more than two (Baylor had two players named consensus All-Americans). Arkansas tight end Hunter Henry and LSU running back Leonard Fournette were also named to the NCAA’s consensus All-American team and Tennessee kick returner Evan Berry made it for his special teams work as well. Heisman Trophy runner-up Christian McCaffrey of Stanford joined him. In addition to Robinson and Ragland from Alabama on defense, the SEC was represented by Florida defensive back Vernon Hargreaves III as a consensus All-American.READ MORE: Construction Concerns Hit Businesses Along Highway 99
The NCAA compiles its consensus All-American team on a scoring system using the previously announced All-American lists published by the Walter Camp Foundation, Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, American Football Coaches Association and the Sporting News. Many players who make the consensus All-America team appear on the first teams of those various outlets. Henry, Ragland and Hargreaves were unanimous selections to the first team All-America lists published by all five of the teams assembled and recognized by the NCAA for its consensus list. Arkansas’ Henry was omitted from the FWAA All-American list, which did not include a tight end on its All-American list, but he did receive first team honors from the other four.
Below is the full NCAA Consensus All-American Team:READ MORE: 'Simply Just Another Bump In The Road': Future Sacramento Firefighter Tells Inspirational Story From Chemo To Cadet
- WR—*Corey Coleman, Baylor, Jr.
- WR—*Josh Doctson, TCU, Sr.
- ^TE—*Hunter Henry, Arkansas, Jr.
- OL—*Joshua Garnett, Stanford, Sr.
- OL—*Spencer Drango, Baylor, Sr.
- OL—Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame, Sr.
- OL—Taylor Decker, Ohio St., Sr.
- C—Ryan Kelly, Alabama, Sr.
- QB—Deshaun Watson, Clemson, So.
- RB—*Derrick Henry, Alabama, Jr.
- RB—Leonard Fournette, LSU, So.
- PK—Ka’imi Fairbairn, UCLA, Sr.
- +Returner/All-Purpose—Evan Berry, Tennessee, So.
- +Returner/All-Purpose—Christian McCaffrey, Stanford, So.
- DL—*Carl Nassib, Penn St., Sr.
- DL—Shaq Lawson, Clemson, Jr.
- DL—A’Shawn Robinson, Alabama, Jr.
- DL—Joey Bosa, Ohio St., Jr.
- LB—*Reggie Ragland, Alabama, Sr.
- LB—Tyler Matakevich, Temple, Sr.
- LB—Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame, Jr.
- DB—*Desmond King, Iowa, Jr.
- DB—*Jeremy Cash, Duke, Sr.
- DB—*Vernon Hargreaves, III, Florida, Jr.
- DB—Jalen Ramsey, Florida St., Jr.
- P—*Tom Hackett, Utah, Sr.
*Indicates unanimous first team selection; Bold indicates consensus repeater from 2014MORE NEWS: Sacramento Highway 99 Closure Now In Place: How To Get Around It
Kevin McGuire is a Philadelphia area sports writer covering the Philadelphia Eagles and college football. McGuire is a member of the FWAA and National Football Foundation. Follow McGuire on Twitter @KevinOnCFB. His work can be found on Examiner.com.