SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) – Colin Kaepernick says he has received death threats through social media and other avenues since he began to protest during the national anthem last month.

Kaepernick said Tuesday he has not alerted team security about the threats and understood that could happen once he began his protest over racial oppression and police brutality in the United States.

READ MORE: 'Fire Hose' Of Subtropical Moisture Bearing Down On Northern California

He said: “To me, if something like that were going to happen, you’ve proved my point.”

READ MORE: Towering Rocklin Officer Didn’t Need Ladder To Save Senior Inside 2-Story Home

Kaepernick also said he plans to start a website soon showing he is donating the $1 million he has pledged to organizations supporting his cause of racial equality. He will donate $100,000 a month for 10 months once he has vetted organizations to determine which deserve his donations.

 

MORE NEWS: Sacramento Parents Questioning Homecoming Vaccine Requirements

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.