SACRAMENTO COUNTY (CBS13) – An appeals court has given a Sacramento-area transgender man the green light to sue Mercy San Juan Medical Center after canceling his elected hysterectomy at the last minute.
READ MORE: CHP Investigating Deadly Crash Involving Sac Metro Fire Ambulance, Another Drive And Pedestrian
Just two days before his scheduled hysterectomy, the doctor called saying the hospital had canceled Evan Minton’s hysterectomy. He says it happened after he mentioned to a nurse that he was transgender.
Starting in 2011, Minton began transitioning from a woman to a man. The hysterectomy was the next step in becoming who he believes he’s supposed to be.READ MORE: 430-Foot Asteroid Expected To Pass By Earth On Monday
“I was finally able to come to terms with being trans and as soon as I accepted that, the shame that I had been carrying around my entire life just evaporated,” he said.
Dignity Health, which operates Mercy San Juan, says courts have repeatedly recognized the right of faith-based hospitals not to provide services based on their religious principles.MORE NEWS: Detectives Working To Find Family Of Man Killed In San Joaquin Homicide
Minton was able to have the procedure at another Dignity Health hospital.