By Shirin Rajaee

ROCKLIN (CBS13) — The Rocklin Academy school board is facing tough questions from parents concerned over a controversial incident involving transgender discussions inside a kindergarten class.

"These parents feel betrayed by the school district that they were not notified," said Karen England with the Capitol Resource Institute.

The incident happened earlier this summer during the last few days of the academic school year.

At Monday night's board meeting, the teacher at the center of the controversy spoke out. With emotions high, she addressed a packed house.

"I'm so proud of my students, it was never my intent to harm any students but to help them through a difficult situation," she said.

The teacher defended her actions to read two children's books about transgenderism including one titled "I am Jazz." She says the books were given to her by a transgender child going through a transition.

"The kindergartners came home very confused, about whether or not you can pick your gender, whether or not they really were a boy or a girl," said England.

Parents say besides the books, the transgender student at some point during class also changed clothes and was revealed as her true gender.

And many parents say they feel betrayed and blindsided.

"I want her to hear from me as a parent what her gender identity means to her and our family, not from a book that may be controversial," a parent said.

"My daughter came home crying and shaking so afraid she could turn into a boy," another parent said.

The issue was not on the agenda, so parents spoke out during public comment.

"It's really about the parents being informed and involved and giving us the choice and rights of what's being introduced to our kids, and at what age," said parent Chelsea McQuistan.

Many teachers also spoke out in support of what transpired inside the classroom. They spoke about the importance of teaching students about diversity and having healthy dialogues.

One parent said the impact on her son was extremely positive.

"It was so precious to see that he had absolutely no prejudice in his body. My child just went in there and listened to the story, and didn't relate it to anything malicious, or didn't question his own body," she said.

"When we head in the direction of banned books or book lists, or selective literature– that should only be read inside or outside the classroom, I think that's a very dangerous direction to go," said 7th grade teacher Kelly Bryson.

The district says the books were age-appropriate and fell within their literature selection policy. Unlike sex education, the topics of gender identity don't require prior parental notice.

In a statement during the board meeting, the district said: "As indicated by Superintendent Robin Stout in a communication last week, staff will be engaging parents and teachers in discussions about how materials outside our curriculum will be addressed in the future."

The large discussion has compelled the board to put the item on the next month's agenda.

Comments (61)
  1. There’s men above and men below and men down in the galley,
    There’s Bif and Buzz and one that we call Sally,one that we call Salley

2. Word to the wise: get your kids out of the public schools. Sell your house if you have to, borrow the money if you have to, but get them into a private school. After all, they’re your kids. Why else are you even waking up and going to work, except to help your kids be successful human beings. They’re sure as heck not going to get that chance in the anti-American, anti-God, pro-transgenderism for kindergartners, public schools. California is totally under the control of the Democratic Party, which is, for all intents and purposes, the party of evil.

1. David Coker says:

Next comes “story time” about how great it is to be molested and sodomized. This is the way the Satanist plan on introducing your children to the idea that wickedness is acceptable and being mentally deranged just comes with the territory.

3. skyway2ls says:

When I was 3 yrs old I told my mother, “Mike is a boy and Daddy is a boy-boy – and I’m a boy, too.” Thank God my mother had the brain enough to realize I was 3 yrs old and not an adult, so therefore I couldn’t make an informed decision about whether I was a boy or a girl. I’m a very happy woman and wouldn’t want it any other way. I believe that we are going to begin to see lawsuits over this. Junior is going to sue his parents for allowing and enabling him to become a her. Just wait until Junior gets a little older and decides he doesn’t want to be a she and wants his tallywhacker back.

Teaching small children about transgenderism, homosexuality, or hetero sexuality is child abuse. Hows about letting them be little children and not carry the weight of adult issues? I know – thats hard for most people to understand today, since it takes an ounce of selflessness and consideration.

4. Dan Roth says:

The reality is, without playing any politically correct games, these transgenders are all nuts, OK? They are not normal people. Trying to pretend that they are normal will make your little kids nuts because they just don’t understand the lunacy. Sort of like telling your kids that Alice in Wonderland was true and that these things really happen. You can’t do things like that to little kids. You will make them nuts too. Do you idiots understand that? You cannot go around telling little kids who think they are in school that crazy is normal and normal is crazy. You just don’t do that and you better stop now. Put a stop to it NOW!

5. I fail to see how a teacher in the lower grades should feel it is their responsibility to even talk about a subject like gender to students . This is a parents perogative, not an employee.

6. JW Hughes says:

Wicked. Indoctrination. I would be unglued as a parent. And yet, after the perversion, they still defend it. Wicked.

7. A US medical organization has even gone non-PC recently by declaring that such indoctrination of children is CHILD ABUSE. It is. And it has no place in our schools.

Reading. writing and arithmeti – that is the ONLY responsibility for schools. IMHO, they should be SUED if they stray from this.

8. Bob Price says:

time to start fighting back folks, that means with all weapons available and finding where these teachers live. it is not acceptable to teach my child about anything that doesn’t involve reading writing and arithmetic, period. teacher needs to be taught a lesson, a hard lesson. you show one just how wrong they are, the rest will follow, trust me.

9. But the good news is that if my granddaughter identifies as a mermaid, the schools have to build an aquarium tank in class for her to swim in.

10. There has been an agenda to indoctrinate to a overtly perverse leftist agenda. That is obvious, and in fact this agenda has deep, perhaps cosmic roots. It IS PAST TIME to push back. This “teacher” is obviously a product of that agenda. Moreover this particular issue is just one in a matrix of evil being foisted on us. We do not have to accept this agenda, and perhaps it is time we go beyond the merely civil practices of verbalizing our objections. Interesting times are coming.

1. David Coker says:

Go ahead and put up a statue of Baphomet in the foyer. That way all of the parents are warned about the school district and its plans for their children.

11. Jack Pod says:

This is the worse kind of insanity, teaching your kids that you can become a pervert as your little heart desires. Toughen up parents and demand that this insanity stop NOW! Better still, get your kids into private schools pronto.

12. I think what escapes these supporters of teaching transgenderism, or anything like this, at this young of an age is the idea of ‘age appropriateness’. There is no one size fits all approach to teaching a child about sensitive topics in life. No one can say for certain that every child is going to be ready to understand at a specific age that they will be mature enough to comprehend these topics at certain age ranges. This is why it should not be taught in schools but at home when, or even if, the parent feels their child is mature enough to handle the information.

We parents still enjoy certain unwritten parental rights here in the US that most people understand. Sadly those rights are slowly eroding to the point where we may have to start putting them in writing.

13. “When we head in the direction of banned books or book lists, or selective literature– that should only be read inside or outside the classroom, I think that’s a very dangerous direction to go,” said 7th grade teacher Kelly Bryson.

Then it would be OK to read from books that show transgenders as mentally ill and homosexuals as sexually perverse. Right, Ms. Bryson?

What the radical liberals really mean is they should be able to espouse their perverted lies to your children but conservatives should stay silent.

Whatever happened to reading, writing and arithmetic? Oh yeah, these are the studies in which our children are falling behind. But isn’t it great that a 5 year old can be any gender they want?

This is child abuse and these people should not be around children.

1. Dan Meyers says:

Michael – That is a spot-on comment. The loudest voices for tolerance are the EXACT opposite of tolerance. Tolerance allows all viewpoints to be discussed and let the listener decide. The left and perverted homosexuals and mentally ill transgenders define tolerance as:

“You will listen to what I say, You will follow what I say. If, for some bizarre reason, you disagree with anything I say, you will keep your stupid homophobic, racist mouth SHUT!”

14. Don Pardo says:

When your liberal progressive worldview requires you to make more confused people to justify the ones who are already confused you become ever more willing to break laws and use institutionalized child abuse to make your desires for the world a reality. The sick teachers and administrators who did this or covered for it or had any small thing to do with it ought to be fired never to serve again in a capacity where they teach children. There ought to be a new branding for them akin to sex offender so they cannot work in that line of work anywhere in the country.

15. Rob Lynn says:

The “teacher” needs a good beating.

16. Take your kids out of public schools, I did, my kids are happy, healthy and well informed.We went to a Charter school. Makes me sick watching kids being destroyed all while teachers scream for more money!

17. This is extremely disgusting. This goes beyond having a meeting where parents sit and get preached to condescendingly by people who are certainly thinking “Ugh, I have to deal with these hateful stupid parents trying to stop me from making their kids into non-hateful people”. It’s time to assault those who assault our children.

18. Dan Meyers says:

Sick perverts. Their own wicked consciences eat away at them so to alleviate the the pain, they spread the disease. Why is this perversion acceptable while other perversions are criminal acts? My kid would be pulled out that day and i would demand and sue (if necessary) for a tuition refund.

19. It’s California and it’s the public school system. Expect the worst of this combination and you won’t be disappointed. Get your children out of these institutions before you end up with a psychologically scarred child.

20. Gender Dysphoria is a mental disorder and, if it’s happening to children in kindergarten, I blame the parents.