By Angela Greenwood

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A Trump supporter claims he was attacked by the lead singer of a punk rock band when he jeered the frontman’s political statements.

Tim Hildebrand of Galt says the attack happened at a Social Distortion concert at the Ace of Spades in Midtown. Hildebrand says he grew up listening to the band’s music and was excited to attend one of their shows, but never thought he’d leave bloody and bruised at the hands of a famous musician.

Cellphone video taken at the concert captures the moment the Social Distortion fan says he was beaten up by the band’s frontman, 56-year-old Mike Ness.

Click here to watch footage of the incident.

“I wasn’t able to defend myself because people in the crowd were holding me back,” he said.

Hildebrand says he the singer gave him two black eyes, a busted lip, a concussion and almost knocked out one of his teeth. The chaos broke out at a concert on July 17, but before things turned physical, Hildebrand says the show turned political.

“I pretty much said I paid for your music, not your politics.”

Hildebrand says the singer started badmouthing President Trump and America and the Republican farmer from Galt didn’t like it.

“I stood pretty much with my silent protest with my middle finger up for the next two songs.”

Ness didn’t like that and in the video, you can see him motion Hildebrand to the stage, where the singer spits in his face. Hildebrand says the two were yelling at each other when Ness lunged toward him.

“Takes his guitar off, jumps off the stage and proceeds to punch me multiple times in the head.”

RELATED: Musician’s Van Stolen, Instruments And Gear Stolen Before Sacramento Performance

Hildebrand says he was dragged out of the venue by security and filed a police report with officers who were standing outside. He plans to press charges.

“Someone that has the status that he does shouldn’t get away with assaulting someone.”

“It was a little bit excessive,” said Social Distortion fan James Mauldin.

Mauldin says while Ness acted unprofessionally, music fans should understand controversy is part of the punk rock culture.

“If you’re that into politics, don’t put yourself in a situation where it could become a problem for you,” said Mauldin.

Attacked in the middle of a show by the very person he paid to see. Hildebrand now wants the popular punk rock singer to pay for his actions.

“If he wants to have a talk someday, man to man, I would love that but he would have to not be a child about it.”

Sacramento Police say they are aware of the incident and say it is under investigation. CBS13 reached out to the band’s manager who said the band has no comment.

Angela Greenwood

Comments (41)
  1. Kevin Barbieux says:

Words of a snowflake.

2. ricardoqueso says:

—————————-
    One might say the same applies to Antifa and other protesters that inflame confrontations at rallies held by idiot white supremacists. Just ignore those troglodytes instead of inciting violence by provoking them.

1. There is a reason there were only a about two dozen at Unite the Right 2 in DC. It’s because Antifa has confronted fascists every time they have tried to have a public presence since Charlottesville. When they are ignored, they get emboldened. Only actively confronting fascism will defeat them and make them hide in the shadows where they belong.

3. So “play your music and shut up about politics?” Punk Rock and politics have always been closely linked together. That this “fan” didn’t know that shows just how little he ever understood about what he was listening to in the first place.

1. You should never expect your political assertions to go unchallenged. Spitting on and beating up Hildebrand is indefensible. I hope Ness gets the jail time he deserves.

1. Kevin Barbieux says:

You obviously know nothing about punk rock, it’s history and it’s culture. Having the band spit on you, getting into fights is a time honored tradition. Stop trying to play the victim, when we all know you’re the instigators.

4. Dude tried to grandstand to a band member at a show and got his sh-t rocked. Boo freaking hoo.

5. Jack Nugent says:

I hope Mike Ness beat his ass. Send me that GoFundMe bail and legal assistance link.

6. Craig Petty says:

never liked Mike Ness till now:))

7. This is the feel good story of the year.

1. Raf France says:

I’m going to have to use that line when I post this. lol

8. Charles Polous says:

The tolerant left strikes again. Don’t agree with me? I’ll fight you.

9. Nici Thompson says:

If you don’t understand where punk generated from, the politics of the day, you don’t really have ground to stand on if you complain about the artist’s explanation of how they feel via the lyrics or the concert asides. Punk IS politics. You lack comprehension skills if you don’t understand that. In my humble opinion, you shouldn’t be there, then or now. You are the jock that we hated then, you are the jock that we dislike now.

1. So, your claim is that you have no right to attend a music show if you don’t understand and agree with the band’s politics, and that they have a right to physically assault you, with the crowd’s assistance. And you have the audacity to pontificate about “comprehension skills”!

10. “Don’t put yourself in a situation where it could become a problem for you” is an admission that the Left is inherently violent and uses fascism to assert themselves.

11. that’s awesome. shame he didn’t kill him.

1. Dk Clayton says:

really kill him…. wow

2. Moby Richard says:

yeah, that’s what I would say about you as well…please go die soon.

12. Erik Flom says:

So, just an alt-right snowflake who’s never been to a real punk concert?

1. EXACTLY. Punk has always been political and has always been pretty lefty. AND it has always been about spitting, punching, slamming, stomping, etc. If you say you went to a punk show and came out of a mosh pit unscathed, then you are lying about going to the show

13. This is why I can’t identify with these people anymore. The left acts like authoritarians using violence against people they disagree with. We live in a time where “antifa” act like they are a bunch of brown shirts.

14. William A. Ferguson says:

“I’ve been a punk rock fan my whole life yet I somehow remained oblivious to punk rock politics!”

15. Scott Garrett says:

“He would have to not be a child about it.”

Says the man who stood with his middle-finger in the air for two songs. You got what you asked for, now man up and stop being a baby.

1. By that logic, Hildebrand would have been within his rights to assault Ness immediately after he made his own political statement–he would have been getting “what he asked for”. Or is your statement that some people have a right to speak their mind and commit assault (let me guess: people who agree with you), while others can’t do either?

16. Luis Gonzaga says:

Going to a Social Distortion show to support Trump? Getting his face smashed was probably what he intended to have, lol!

17. Reed Thompson says:

Commies gonna commie…

18. Jim Cameron says:

LOCK HIM UP

19. Could be worth about a million dollars in court. I’d take a beating for that kind of money and in the end you win.