10 p.m. Update: The National Weather Service Bay Area is calling this a Noctilucent cloud, a cloud that can be formed from a meteor or space debris entering the upper atmosphere.

The mysterious light created a lot of buzz around Northern California Wednesday.

Read more about the mysterious light here.

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A bright light lit up the sky across Northern California Wednesday night leaving many questioning what they saw moving through the sky.

The scheduled 5:44 p.m. launch of the Delta IV Heavy rocket in Southern California was scrubbed, or canceled, leaving many wondering what was in the sky.

CBS13 viewers said the light remained in the sky for several minutes.

There were three rocket launches scheduled for Wednesday but all of those launches were scheduled to launch outside of California.

A representative from Vandenberg Air Force Base had no information about the sight in the sky. Travis Air Force Base also did not have information on the light, but the National Weather Service believed it may have been a meteor.

There has not been an official confirmation of what caused the light, but multiple National Weather Service accounts have speculated that it was from a meteor or meteorite.

The National Weather Service in Reno said the light appeared to be a meteor or space debris entering the upper atmosphere.

Comments (19)
  1. Donny Dingle says:

Just a contrail illuminated by the setting sun.

1. Jack Jackson says:

Sure it was Donnie. You just keep drinking the Kool-Aid

2. Jerry Boles says:

I saw it from the start. It was like a very bright and large meteor (or space junk?) traveling south-southwest in the southwest sky (in Chico). It lasted a second or so, and then left the bright plume behind.

3. Charles Knouse says:

Definitely a meteor. My wife and I saw the fireball driving south of Clearlake.

4. This shows it completely start to finish.

5. Paul Simonson says:

Nope. Not a meteor or space junk, it was Santa up there doing a practice run with his new rocket powered Sleigh.

6. could be a UFO crash coming out of a wormhole. but thats too out there, safer to stick with meteor or meteorite

7. Fred Stevens says:

I was driving on highway 80, heading west and I saw this happen. That cloud was a straight line when it first formed. The winds aloft made it twist around like that. I saw something falling and moving very fast with a bright trail like a meteor. It was dusk, so the sky still was relatively bright. The object seemed to fall for a much longer period of time than most meteorites I have seen, and I thought it would hit the ground, but then It exploded with a bright light. Just before it exploded I think I saw a silver flash as though it were a metallic object, but since I was driving it’s hard to say for sure.

Since there was smoke I assumed orbital debris. It’s 100% not a contrail.

8. Kelly Kleinman says:

Mueller’s investigation on Russian collusion?

9. Dan Roatcap says:

videos above shows the most obvious as a meteor. I’m wondering if Vandenburg picked up the object on sensors and decided to scrub the launch because of it…..

10. Richard Stenger says:

I was at http://www.PressCalifornia.com too, where I first saw this story, and more strange news from Crazy-fornia.

11. Robbie Carroll says:

Like the government always says, NUNYA!

12. Andrew Stoy says:

Miltary calls it a flying saucer, then Commandig General says it was just a weather ballon. Well, it worked the last time.

13. Keith Cox says:

From my vantage point – I assumed it was LNAS not wanting to be upstaged by the pending (halted) NRO71 launch… 🙂

14. Christine Craft says:

Regardless of what the news anchorettes read from a government press release, that was from V-berg…..I covered vberg launches for years.from KEYT Santa Barbara.

15. Jane Mergler says:

Vladimir Putin sending approved list candidates for next Secretary of Defense to Comrade Trump.