WEST PALM BEACH, Fl. (WFTS) – A Florida family is grateful to be alive after they say their refrigerator exploded inside their home Saturday morning.

The force was so powerful it caused significant damage in several rooms. Luckily, neighbor Joshua Perez heard the explosion and ran inside to help the family get out safely.

ALSO: California Man Watches His Home Get Burglarized While On The Other Side Of The Country

“I was in my room, I was asleep and I just heard the bang,” Mark Ligondie said.

Ligondie quickly ran from his bedroom to the kitchen where moments before his parents’ refrigerator in the West Palm Beach, Florida home exploded.

A Florida family is grateful to be alive after they say their refrigerator exploded inside their home Saturday morning.

“There were fumes coming everywhere,” Ligondie said.

He says the odor was so strong and that it made his eyes sting.

“The fridge exploded and if you look at this angle right here it expanded and expanded so much it bent the metal of the stove,” Ligondie said.

The family’s 4-month-old Whirlpool refrigerator was in pieces, scattered throughout the kitchen and surrounding rooms.

Their next door neighbor, Perez, rushed over to help after hearing the loud bang and smoke alarm.

ALSO: WATCH: Military Homecoming Surprises Mom At Sacramento Kings Game

“Immediately I just see the smoke,” Perez said.

Luckily, no one was hurt. The fire department showed up and cleared the home.

“And for them to say we’ve never seen this, this is something we have never seen in our life is kind of alarming,” Perez said.

Perez believes this incident is a wake-up call for all homeowners.

“I’ve actually scheduled an appointment already because of how nervous this has made me just for general maintenance and I think that’s something everyone should do,“ Perez said.

WPTV reached out to Whirlpool for comment. We are still waiting to hear back.

Meanwhile, there’s now cracks in the family’s ceiling and nearby walls, damage to the master bedroom door and a bedroom window is missing.

“It’s surreal,” Ligondie said.

 

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2018 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Comments
  1. Jack Peiffer says:

    Certainly something more going on here The cold compartments of a refr/freezer do not and cannot explode! And with the emphasis (totally uncorroborated) of this being a specific brand, this story reeks of falsehood, dramatic exaggerations, and totally devoid of both fact and detail.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s