CARMICHAEL (CBS13) – A Carmichael family dog had a close brush with death during a house fire, and the dramatic event was all caught on video.
Fire broke out in the bedroom of a home on Mission Avenue and Arden area on Wednesday evening. All of the occupants were able to get out of the home safely, except for “Dicky” the family dog.READ MORE: Study: There Was No 'Mass Exodus' From California In 2020
Suffering from smoke inhalation, Dicky was brought out of the home and placed on the ground while firefighters conducted CPR. After he came to he was given oxygen, and moments later, Dicky was up and moving around.
First responders and “Good Samaritans” are protected by law if they help dogs and cats in an emergency. They can provide basic first aid for dogs and cats, including administering oxygen, giving mouth-to-snout ventilation, and bandaging a wound to stop bleeding.
First responders and those without medical training could already provide medical and non-medical care to humans without fear of civil liability; however, the same rules don’t apply to caring for domesticated pets in an emergency.MORE NEWS: Sheriff: Stockton Arson Suspect Allegedly Swung Improvised Weapon At Deputy During Chase