OROVILLE, Calif. (AP) — An investigation has determined that a July 2017 wildfire that destroyed more than 40 homes in Northern California was sparked by a defective electrical panel at a Butte County home.

The state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Friday that prosecutors have reviewed the case and decided not to file charges in the matter.

READ MORE: Who Is Mark Lavea, Suspect Killed In San Andreas Hostage Situation?

The blaze broke at a home southeast of Oroville and spread to more than 6,000 acres before being contained more than a week later. It destroyed 41 homes, damaged 36 others and was the first of Butte County’s four major wildfires in 2017.

READ MORE: Trap, Tag, Haze: New Efforts To Get Bears To Behave In Tahoe Area

David Hawks, chief of CalFire’s Butte County unit, said the fire serves as a reminder to residents to keep electrical and other ignition sources in good repair and clear of flammable materials.

MORE NEWS: Yuba City Neighborhood 'Traumatized' After High Speed Drivers Repeatedly Crash Into Homes

Swipe below to see photos of the Wall Fire.