by Yasmeen Hassan

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Changes could be coming to your favorite restaurant thanks to a statewide initiative just being announced Wednesday, called Restore California Renewable Restaurants.

Restaurant owners have the option of charging customers an additional 1% on their bills that would go to help stop climate change. Payments will be gathered by the California Air Resources Board and spent on implementing carbon plans on farms and ranches across California, boosting healthy soil, according to the Perrenial Farming Initiative.

“There’s always going to be the people who say, why is this on the bill? I don’t want to pay it. I don’t care what it’s for. I don’t want to pay it,” Christopher Barnum-Dann, the owner of Localis, said.

Talking to people in Sacramento Tuesay, they are split on the idea.

“I wouldn’t be interested in doing that. Leave the climate alone,” one resident said.

READ ALSO: Sacramento Restaurant Ranks 30th On List Of Best Restaurants In America

“We’re not asking our fixed-income people to pay that on their property tax. We’re asking that of someone who had made a choice to go out and spend money,” another resident, John Peters, said.

If the restaurant you’re eating at is a part of the program, you don’t have to pay the 1% if you don’t want to. You can just ask your server to take it off your bill.

“Well I live in California and I don’t know if you know this or not it’s pretty freaking expensive here. One percent to somebody who doesn’t make that much money ain’t a lot but it’s a lot more than they have,” resident Mike Mattingly said.

ALSO: Police: Man Threw Iguana At Manager Inside Restaurant

Organizers say 1% might not sound like a lot, but if enough restaurants sign-up, it would add up quickly.

“There’s 78,000 restaurants in California, so if half of them join on that’s almost 40,000, so that’s a decent chunk of money,” Barnum-Dann said.

Organizers hope to start the program by the fall and have 200 restaurants sign-up by the end of the year.

You can learn more about the initiative on the Perennial Farming Initiative website.

Comments (48)
  1. Rocco Henderson says:

If it’s an “option”, I guess that will help me decide where to eat and where not to eat.

1. Robert Bradley says:

why not gas stations etc

2. Andy Driggers says:

You gotta be a special kind of stupid if you really think giving Govt more money will do anything regarding climate change. Just another feel good money grab

1. Angela Jones Benavides says:

^^THIS

3. ridculous. a con on tourists who won’t notice it.

4. Carbon tax and the green movement is simply incremental communism. If kaliforniah and the fed gangsterment were worried about the enviornment they would close the borders. Think of the mountains of disposable diapers the invading illegals will make along with their trash. Our government is completely intrenched with cradle to grave amerikahn communists. Think about it.

5. Darren Davis says:

More Tax $$ is about one thing “State Pensions”. The state has diverted money from gas tax to sales tax, etc…to pay for the over generous State Employee Pensions. This has nothing to do with the climate.

6. Jeff Smith says:

Can I pay in imaginary money, since climate change is imaginary?

7. would do more good to put that money toward homelessness/drug addiction problem instead of the ever so nebulous ‘climate change’

8. stpaulchuck says:

Love the comments!!!
    —————
    “Meanwhile, conservatives are said to have rejected science if they won’t believe that taxes control the weather.”

9. 1st time it comes out of the tip. There is no second time for that place.

10. Robin Henderson says:

$2.00 Silverware charge coming SOON !!

11. Hal Slusher says:

So they are slipping another tax on you. Taxes taxes who loves taxes more than California

12. Michael Ryan says:

Won’t affect me, I avoid California like the plague!

13. John Mattaboni says:

If you promise to let us crank up the taxes in every way imaginable, we promise to control the weather. Deal? lol Liberals are stupider than they look.

14. Jay Johnson says:

And people still say the “Climate Change” scam isn’t about money and power.

The key to dispensing with the Climate Change scam is to insist that government go first. When government gives up extremely polluting war and preparations for war, then, and only then, can they approach us with this nonsense. Until then, they can f* off!

“Ignorance is Strength.” I’m weak.

15. Benjamin Dover says:

If I’m forced to pay another tax in addition to the already high 8% plus sales tax, then I’ll subtract all the taxes from the servers tip.
    I’m tired of of being overtaxed.
    And at some point it’s got to stop!

If restaurant management see’s the protest, they can yell at Sacramento to change the laws.

16. Rocco Henderson says:

I predict a “no tip” protest for restaurants who choose to implement this “optional”, absurd tax.

17. Joseph Le Petomane says:

We need this, because California just doesn’t collect enough taxes. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen? More people move out of California and they get less electoral votes? Come on, California! Tax, tax, tax!

18. Erik Bakke says:

California consumes about 10 million gallons of gasoline more per day than Russia, despite having 100 million less people. This is idiotic.

19. Patrick Higgins says:

I knew there was a reason I left California so many years ago.

On another note, I guess this means you can now fart out loud in these restaurants, your paying for the gas.