SAN JOSE (CBS13/AP) — Major League Soccer is shutting down for 30 days because of the coronavirus, delaying the home opener for the expansion team co-owned by former England captain David Beckham.
“Our clubs were united today in the decision to temporarily suspend our season — based on the advice and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Agency of Canada and other public health authorities,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement Thursday.
Inter Miami, co-owned by Beckham and Jorge Mas, had been scheduled to play its home opener Saturday. MLS started its season on Feb. 29 and each of the 26 teams has played two league matches.
Mas told players and coaches late Thursday morning, then held a news conference at the team’s temporary stadium.
Mas says he expects the full 34-match season to be played.
Following MLS’ decision, the United Soccer League also announced that they are suspending their season for at least 30 days. Sacramento Republic FC, who currently plays in the USL, had several home games scheduled in the coming weeks that are affected by the postponement.
The team said fans will be given more information soon about tickets for those impacted games.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press.