By CBS13 Staff

HUGHSON (CBS13) — Crews say the fire that put out a lot of smoke in Hughson early Tuesday morning started in the basement of a home.

Firefighters responded to the scene along Mountain View Road, near Hatch Road, around 4:30 a.m.

READ MORE: 'It Meant The World To Me': Oakdale Officer Thanks Citizens Who Helped Him After Hit-And-Run

Heavy smoke was coming from the home, but no flames were visible.

READ MORE: Could Mask Mandates Drive Business To Surrounding Counties Who Don't Have One?

The fire apparently started in the basement, firefighters say. It’s unclear if anyone was in the home when it caught fire, but no injuries were reported.

Hatch Road at Santa Fe had to be shut down for some time due to the heavy smoke going across the road.

MORE NEWS: Kaiser Permanente Sued By Federal Government Over Alleged Medicare Fraud

Firefighters have since contained the flames. Exactly what started the fire is under investigation.