13 Questions With…. Shirin Rajaee
- Where did you grow up? I grew up in Southern California, in the Los Angeles Area.. specifically in Arcadia/ Pasadena.
- What is your ideal scenario for a day off? I love to explore and travel. An ideal day off would be to take a day trip somewhere I’ve never been before, to dine out, maybe go to an outdoor concert. I love the beach.
- How did you decide to be a reporter/anchor? Since I was a teenager, I was fascinated with journalism. Watching the news was big in my household and I remember watching Diane Sawyer and thinking “I want to do that one day.” I knew I was a people person, I knew I loved to write and tell stories and the thought of being on scene of a big event, intrigued me. At UCLA, I studied Communications and I aspired to pursue a career in broadcasting, but the big question was how do you break in? There is no real set path. But I decided to go for it, got my foot in the door at CNN in Los Angeles working behind the camera, and after those first three years in the industry, I was hooked! That’s when I knew this is what I was meant to do.
- What was your favorite toy growing up? I don’t remember having a favorite toy but I loved board games like Monopoly, Operation and Girl Talk lol
- Where is your favorite local place to eat? I’m a foodie!!! So I have so many favorite spots. I love Zocolo, Ella, Kru, Mikuni, Mother, Crepeville… list goes on!
- Do you have any pets? No pets, but I love dogs. Maybe one day
- What is your favorite social media platform? My favorite is instagram: ShirinRajaee
- If you didn’t work in TV news what would you be doing? Most likely I’d still be in a career that wasn’t a typical desk job. Maybe I’d be a spokesperson for a big company, or do something that involved PR.
- What is the most memorable story you’ve covered at CBS13/CW31? Gosh, so many stories in the last few years but the story that touched me the most was my coverage of the Las Vegas Mass Shooting. That was a difficult and emotional assignment being out there, seeing it first hand, speaking to survivors. It was heartbreaking yet inspiring to hear all the heroic stories of strangers helping strangers at a time of absolute chaos.
- What is your favorite season? I love summer… the beach!
- Who is the fellow reporter/anchor you text the most? At CBS 13 it would have to be my good friend Macy Jenkins. Outside CBS 13, it would have to be the weekend anchor at Fox 40, Joe Khalil 😉
- When do you wake up on a workday? Weekend? I go to bed pretty late since my typical nightside shift doesn’t wrap till after midnight sometimes, but I try to get up around 8:30/9. I have a love/ hate relationship with sleeping in.
- Why do you love Northern California? My favorite part is that we actually experience seasons here! I love seeing the leaves change colors in the fall, it’s beautiful not something I was used to in LA.
- Where was your best vacation ever? Love Venice and BarcelonaFavorite sport to watch in person? On TV? Basketball… and getting into football more.
- Favorite TV show? Movie? I’m obsessed with “This is Us.” I need to stop watching though cause I’ve cried enough for the year, lol. But I throw in some old Friends” episodes to cheer me up. And favorite Movie.. hmm.. “Pursuit of Happyness” and “Life is Beautiful” are definitely two that stand out.
Request to have Shirin speak at an event.