BOULDER CREEK (CBS) – Santa Cruz County sheriff’s deputies arrested a Santa Cruz man on Sunday on suspicion of throwing a 17-year-old parrot onto the ground and stomping it to death.

David Miles, 32, was arrested after deputies found him near a home in the 100 block of Madrona Road in unincorporated Boulder Creek where, at about 11:40 p.m. Sunday, they discovered a dead parrot after responding to a disturbance call.

Detectives said Miles killed the parrot, named Huey, after the parrot landed on Miles and began biting him. The parrot died at the home, which Miles had been visiting at the time.

Miles was not injured in the attack.

He was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on suspicion of animal cruelty.

Comments (54)
  1. Truth Detector says:

Advice for David Miles:

The next time you visit someone with a pet parrot named Polly, leave the giant cracker costume at home.

2. Lucy Olivera says:

I love my now currently 3 parrots: Naggy Maggy, Miss Clifford, and Molly McButter. They are loving and talkative girls, and far more intelligent than dogs and cats. If they attach someone, it is in the same role as a guard dog … Obviously the owner’s parrot Huey was not aware the the owners friend was not an intruder. A few scratches and bites did NOT. Facilitate putting to death poor Amazon parrot, some of the happiest parrots around.

3. DEb Fer says:

Since the parrot was biting and attacking him that is self defense in my book. Have you seen a parrot beak? They are huge !! But, since an arrest was made there is more to the story we do not know about.

4. luvbirds says:

I thank everyone on here that defends the parrot, as for those that think it’s ok to stomp a pet parrot to death i think your thinking is twisted and in need of some kind therapy. Preferably Spiritual therapy..
    Recently wild life trappers came to a large pond in our community and shot all the ducks with PELLOT GUNS and put ducks in black bags and took them away. This is also abuse. YES ABUSE. If you kick or injury an animal / bird once, its a misdomener and if its more than once, it’s a felony. Wildlife rescue told me this.
    Many of us here are sick at heart because of what they did. Ducks are very benificial
    especially Muscovy ducks which Florida fish and wildlife wants them all gone because their a native species they say. Many of us are native species also.
    Muscovies are special and eat mosquitoes and their larve on the water also algae. They eat insects of all kinds even spiders including widows and the brown poisonous one. They eat the weeds around ponds lakes ect.
    I know this article is about Parrotts but i feel so bad about killing the Mallards and Muscovies in such a cruel way that i had to include this.

5. 5thcommjarhead says:

Parrots obvioulsy have much more intrinsic value than human beings. They should be allowed to attack and injure as many humans as they want.

6. Ben says:

Umm if he was being attacked isn’t he within his right to defend himself? If the parrot did nothing to instigate it then yes this is a vile and despicable move. I’ve been bitten by parrots before and they can crush BONE, so please stop with the animal cruelty BS.

7. Ben says:

Seriously you people that say parrots cannot cause damage have NO CLUE what you are talking about. Yes most parrots are gentle and I happen to love parrots. When I was much younger I worked at a pet store and the “breeder” parrots were not the nicest bunch. They can cause serious damage. The co-owner of said store actually had his middle finger bit so hard it caused permanent nerve damage and is missing the tip. As I said before, if this parrot did not instigate then this man that stomped on him is despicable, but if he was being bitten I am totally on his side.

8. IHateSquakingDoodyFountains says: