By Nick Janes

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — An unusual rescue took place in Sacramento on Wednesday morning after a dog’s paw got stuck in a drain while her owner was giving it a bath, according to firefighters.

Firefighters were called to a home on 5th Avenue in south Sacramento around 7:30 Wednesday morning to try and free Lulu, a small dog whose paw was wedged in the bathtub drain.

Lulu’s owner, Keith Brewer, tells CBS13 he had been in the shower with Lulu trying to give her a bath when she stepped back into the drain.

After attempting to free Lulu’s paw himself without success, Brewer ended up calling for emergency help.

“She was crying so much. It was heartbreaking,” said Brewer. “I didn’t like that.”

When firefighters arrived, they attempted to cut the drain to free Lulu, but the little dog was too nervous and moving around too much for it to be safe.

Firefighters ended up calling a veterinarian to sedate Lulu.

After nearly two hours trapped in the tub drain, Lulu was freed.

The veterinarian checked out her paw and believes she will recover completely.

“I’m gonna put the plug in next time because I don’t want to see her get hurt again,” Brewer said.

Comments (16)
  1. Darkman says:

The dog a shower with its owner? 😦 Ugh!!!!!

1. Salina Avalos Mayorga says:

That’s crazy I was watching this story yesterday while working out at the gym not knowing that this story is my mom and her boyfriend Keith’s dog. I lost touch with them over a year ago, my mom was so upset with me because her dog of ten years “Mikey” was in my care while my mom was very sick in the hospital ran away. Mikey kept running away to find her because he was so heart broken without her, the last time he ran away I couldn’t find him after months of searching everyday. My mom was so upset she said she didn’t want to see me ever again. I tried to continue the relationship but she didn’t want it. Now that I see she and her long time Boyfriend Keith adopted a new dog makes me happy to see she is moving on. They are very good pet owners and I wish them the best.

1. Connie D says:

That’s so sad!!! But you are her daughter and she should be able to find it in her heart to forgive you. I love my dog too, but wouldn’t let it come between me and my son. You should call her and pick up the pieces.

2. Sandy says:

Salina, call her. You are family and I am sure things will be great. Good story when I hear about people who love their dogs as much as I love mine!

3. Inphinity says:

I agree with the others, here – call or, write her if that is more comfortable. Sometimes when people are very, very ill they feel out of control and the loss of Mikey may have accentuated that. I think you are a wonderful daughter who helped her mom at a difficult time and the loss of Mikey sounds like it was an accident you tried to prevent. I lost my mom to cancer when she was only 58 and I hope your mom will be open to re-establishing a relationship with you. Time is too short…

2. Sandy says:

Poor you for not knowing the love and relationship that many people experience with their Best Friends such as me. I love all the dogs I have had in my life and they were and are all family. Again, I feel sorry for you. I prepare dinner and breakfast along side of my dog, go to sleep at night at the same time and enjoy our walks and so many laughs we have together. That’s right laughs.

3. sandy says:

1. Inphinity says:

I HOPE you’re just a troll and not really so ignorant as to believe that the bond between a mother and child should supercede that any other bond. Clearly Salina and the folks who commented on it get it and none of them demeaned the relationship between Human and Canine, which can be a very deep bond, but that it should not come between Mother and Child. POOR YOU!!!

4. sandy says:

Drakman, if you don’t already know the two comments were for you. Somehow it will not allow me to reply to you…..

1. sandy says:

Inphinity I HOPE you relaize that my two posts saying Poor you were only towards DARKMAN. Somehow they posted in the wrong place. I told Salina the same thing that you did – please read as I posted right before your post to her…

5. Bill Logan says:

Idiot,… You put the dog in the shower to wash and you go in to really wash all the area that need it she was not in the shower as like she was taking a shower… She was cleaning the dog,
      you should get a dog and become a human being moron I do the same with my dog, a shelter dog that is a really good dog and friend

B

2. Darkman says:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!

3. luanne says:

To Osama Hangaminichad, who sucks? and to Darkman, what’s so funny? I see a cute little dog taking a shower with its master, getting stuck in the drain, and being scared to death. That’s not funny at all. I understand how heart-wrenching the cries of a scared/hurt dog are to its owner and I hope the little dog heals quickly and the owner knows that a lot of us feel for him too. Good luck to both!

4. pumpkinpie says:

I bath my sweetie in the tub while I take a shower(not to often how ever)and I know others who do the same thing, she weighs only 9 lbs soaking wet, I wouldn’t ever think to put Sam(australian sheperd) or sunny(golden retriever) in the tub, that would make one colossal mess. I do put the stopper in the drain however. It would be heart breaking to see your special pet suffer and to hear it cry.

5. Bill Logan says:

There is one thing about this story expect the dog to be uneasy about the shower for a while… My dog got stuck in between the front seats of my car in the cup holder and she is a little uneasy around that area of the car but she is a still a total sweetheart

B