SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Commuters beware: Your drive to and from work could be getting a lot longer for the next few months.
Serious work on the stretch of Highway 50 known as the W/X Viaduct begins April 22 and will run until June 25, according to Caltrans. Major lane closures on Highway 50 near downtown Sacramento are to be expected, forcing officials to advise the use of city streets as detours.
Lane closures will begin at 9 p.m. Monday night, weather permitting.
A full list of detours is below (information courtesy Caltrans):
During work in the EASTBOUND direction
(April 22 – May 21):
- If traveling from Elk Grove to Rancho Cordova/Folsom use Hwy 99 North to US 50 East. Do not use I-5 North to US 50 East.
- If traveling from Davis to Downtown Sacramento use I-80 to I-5 South to Richards Blvd or “J” Street off ramps. Do not take I-80 to US 50 East.
- If traveling from Natomas/Davis to Rancho Cordova/Folsom use I-80 East to Watt Ave exit-South to Business-80 on-ramp to US-50 East. Do not use I-5 to US 50 East.
- If traveling through the project area during Phase 2 (Closed connector ramps to Business 80 and Hwy 99) use Hornet Drive (Howe/Power Inn exit) to turn around onto US 50 West.
During work in the WESTBOUND direction (May 27 – June 25):
- Traveling from Rancho Cordova/Folsom to Downtown Sacramento use US 50 West to Business 80 North to N Street or H Street off-ramps. Do not stay on US 50 West after Business 80 interchange.
- Traveling from Elk Grove/Galt to Downtown Sacramento use I-5 North to J Street off ramp. Do not take Highway North to Westbound US 50.
- Traveling from Rancho Cordova/Folsom to Natomas/Davis use US-50 West to Business 80 North to Watt Ave North, to I-80 West. Do not use US-50 West to Davis or US-50 West to I-5 North to Natomas.
- If traveling through the project area during Phase 2 (Closed connector ramps from Business-80 to US-50 West) use Hornet Drive (Howe/Power Inn exit) to turn around onto US 50 West.
*Motorists traveling to the Lake Tahoe area can avoid the project area congestion by taking I-80 E
For more information, head over to the official Fix50 website.
You can also sign up for project updates via email. For text updates, text “Fix50” to 20673.
See real-time traffic conditions in West Sacramento with these cameras.
[display-posts tag=”Fix-50” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”6″]