BISHOP (CBS13) – Officials say a Central California young woman has died from a brain-eating amoeba infection.
The 21-year-old was a Bishop residnt. Inyo County public health officials say she woke up from a nap on June 16 with a headache and was soon vomiting. When the symptoms wouldn’t go away after a day, she was taken to the ER at Northern Inyo Hospital.READ MORE: Hamilton Fans Evacuated After Fire Alarm Goes Off In Sacramento Convention Center
Doctors first diagnosed her with meningitis, but her condition continued to deteriorate. She was then flown to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno, but soon died in the ER.Missing Marysville Teen Carmen Miller May Be Victim Of Sex Trafficking, Police Say
Tests done by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention have found evidence that the woman was infected by Naegleria fowleri, known commonly as the brain-eating amoeba.
Officials believe the woman caught the amoeba on private property, but wouldn’t elaborate on exactly how she was infected. However, the amoeba usually infects people who swim in warm freshwater lakes and rivers, or in poorly-maintained pools.
Only 133 cases of the infection have been reported over the past 53 years, public health officials say. However, only three people are known to have survived the infection.MORE NEWS: Proposed Campground Expansion At Auburn State Recreation Area Draws Concern Over Wildfire Risk
There have been only seven documented cases of the infection in California.