CARMICHAEL (CBS13) – An 11-year-old boy was left permanently injured after an illegal firework exploded in his hand, authorities say.

Sacramento Metro Fire says they were called to a report about a person on fire in a parking lot along the 4400 block of Manzanita Avenue around 2 p.m. Wednesday. At the scene, first responders found a severely injured boy lying on the ground.

Investigators believe the boy was holding onto a mortar-type firework while inside of a car when it exploded.

Parts of the boy’s hand were partially amputated by the explosion, Metro Fire says. The boy was also left with burns across multiple areas of his body.

Some of the boy’s injuries are permanent, authorities say.

Metro Fire would like to remind people to only use legal, safe-and-sane fireworks. Sales of legal fireworks begin on June 28 in California.

 

 

Comments

Leave a Reply