SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Firefighters say a fuel vapor explosion at a homeless camp in Sacramento has injured two people.

The incident happened around 7 a.m. Thursday near San Juan Road and Zenobia Way.

According to the Sacramento Fire Department, firefighters found a man and woman with burn injuries. Firefighters say it appears the pair were starting a fire with gasoline when the explosion happened – with the vapors from the gas causing the explosion after it was lit.

The resulting fire consumed everything in the encampment, firefighters say, including a propane tank that crews originally thought was the source of the fire.

A small grass fire was sparked by the explosion, but it was quickly contained by firefighters.

Medics say the man suffered burns to 80 percent of his body, while the woman had moderate injuries to the lower half of her body. Both have been taken to the hospital.

Comments

Leave a Reply