Kings part-owner Shaquille O’Neal and Charles Barkley are now facing criticism on social media over comments about the Breonna Taylor case.

On Thursday night, during the “NBA on TNT” pregame show, Barkley said Taylor’s death should not be compared to other recent high-profile cases.

“You know, we have to take into account that her boyfriend did shoot at the cops and shot a cop,” said Barkley. “So like I say, even though I’m really sorry she lost her life I don’t think we can put this in the same situation as George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery, I just don’t believe that.”

O’Neal agreed with Barkley. Now both are facing backlash.

Sports reporter Jemele Hill said, “With all due respect to the TNT crew, Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron did not present the full story in his public comments. He presented half-truths to shape a narrative. The police were careless and reckless and tried to cover their (expletive).”

O’Neal is a part-owner of the Kings, reportedly owning between two and four percent of the team.

Comments (6)
  1. Monty says:

I want to tell you, if you’re black, you can’t be a free thinker. You can’t look at things rationally and analyze the facts and come up with your own sensible conclusion. I have a lot of respect for Barkley and O’Neal and I hope they won’t let the backlash from a few cause them to backtrack and apologize as so many free thinkers end up doing. There are many of us that agree with you and respect your right to say what you think.

2. Theresa Reed says:

Because telling the truth is unacceptable now?

3. yvonne wison says:

The question is, when did the boyfriend shot at the cops. Was it before they announced they were police officers? If someone breaks into your house and you have weapon, you’re shoot.

1. Uno Garrison says:

they just dont want to honor black ppls rights like their own. anyone has the right to shoot at anyone breaking into their home unannounced..thats just what hate does…criticizes you for protecting yourself and your family

4. Paulie says:

Some folks will never accept the truth as it NEVER fits their narrative.

5. XYZ says:

I really don’t think any RED WHITE AND BLUE AMERICAN WILL CONDONE GESTAPO TACTICS – the boyfriend CALLED 911 TO REPORT A HOME INVASION AS THE MEN DRESSED AS CIVILIANS NEVER IDENTIFIED THEMSELVES. And for each of you thinking he was wrong to defend himself in that situation, then the NRA is fighting for what??? ANSWER ME THAT, you hypocrits. Yes, I am a conservative, and THE PD THERE SWATTED HER. What did she know, was she about to file a complaint. This was outright murder. You better get your thoughts straight on this.