SAN ANDREAS (CBS13) — Deputies are thanking a passerby who rushed into a burning home in San Andreas and helped rescue a woman.
The Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office says, just before 9 a.m. Monday, dispatchers started getting calls about an alarm going off near Lewis Avenue in San Andreas. Exactly where the alarm was coming from was unclear at first, but deputies soon zeroed-in on the 300 block of Roberts Avenue.READ MORE: 'Prime Suspect' Paul Flores Arrested In 1996 Disappearance Of Kristin Smart; Still No Remains Found
Minutes later, deputies found a home that was on fire. Heavy smoke was coming from inside, but a deputy started checking to see if anyone was trapped.
After forcing a door open and calling out, the deputy reported hearing a woman’s voice asking for help.READ MORE: Sacramento Hires Inspector General To Independently Review Police Use Of Force Cases
The deputy then tried to go inside, but the heavy smoke forced him back. However, as the deputy went back in again, a passerby jumped in to help.
With the citizen’s help, the deputy found the woman in a back bedroom and the pair got her out of the home safely.MORE NEWS: Lack Of Healthy Players Cuts Davis High School Football Season Short
Firefighters soon put out the flames, which appeared to have started due to a space heater. The woman was treated by medics at the scene, but she was later taken to the hospital.