Man Impaled By Deer Antler In Crash
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
NEVADA CITY, Calif. (CBS13) – A violent crash with a deer left a Nevada City resident with an antler stuck through his hand, but the driver says he just feels lucky the damage wasn’t worse.
Harlow Rothert and a friend were driving along Highway 49 when a deer darted into the roadway. Unable to stop in time, Rothert said he realized the impending collision could be lethal.
“I went through a flash, and I remember my mind just thinking, ‘This could be it. This could be the end,’” Rothert said.
The truck slammed into the deer at high speed, sending the animal antlers-first through a windshield.
“The horns came in through a big crack in the windshield,” Rothert said.
The antlers stabbed right through Rothert’s right hand, fracturing bones in his forearm. As the truck slowed to a stop, the antler broke off.
Rothert and his friend said they are both grateful to have survived the collision but feel bad the deer didn’t survive.
Rothert’s doctor says he will need to keep a cast on his right arm for four weeks, but Rothert says he hopes to have the cast off by Christmas.