Man Falls To Death From Bridge

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A teen fell to his death just before ringing in the New Year after slipping off a bridge, according to authorities.

The 19-year-old victim was walking with his family to the Old Sacramento fireworks show when he tried to hop from the I Street Bridge to the J Street off ramp near southbound Interstate 5 just before midnight.

The man apparently did not see the gap between the two bridges and fell between the roadways, falling all the way to the ground.

“There doesn’t seem to be any alcohol involved,” said Lt. Mike Bray of the Sacramento Police Department.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Comments

1. Mike Carpino says:

my sympathy to the family. Terrible way to begin the new year,

2. upeopledisgustme says:

Snarf – I don’t know you but based on your comments I feel sorry for you. You are the most hateful unenlightened person I have ever encountered. You have darkness in your soul that will never resolve. You will reep what you sow and most likely die a miserable lonely person. I can feel your negative energy from here. It must be exhausting to be so angry all the time. I’ll pray for you and your dark aura

3. useroutthere says:

Snarf seems to be the type of person who feeds on other people’s misery and tragedy to boost his own angry, fragile ego and justify his “superior” existence.

My sympathy goes to the family of the man who died. This is such a horrible freak accident.

4. wendy armstrong says:

I oane,t beleive the HATEFUL comments that followed such a tragety. His family must be in horrible shock, to have witnissed it. Shame on all you HATEFUL people!!

5. Mark says:

There are only 3 comments Wendy and none of them are hateful? Maybe they deleted them. This story is poorly constructed… how does a man that isn’t intoxicated not notice a HUGE cap between that bridge… I’ve been there… and I just don’t see it. I’m not saying he was intoxicated, I just think he knew there was a cap, and perhaps thought he could make the jump…. My heart goes out to the family.

1. youpeopledisgustme says:

They have deleted it since this am but previously there was a comment from “Snarf” making a reference to Darwin and the inference that this tragic accident was the victims own fault . I believe it read … “Darwin lives in 2011” It scares me to know these imcompassionate people live anywhere near me

6. Tina Hamilton says:

What a sad story! My condolences and prayers for this family…such a horrific beginning to the New Year.

7. mr a says:

It looks like the roadways are at the same level on google streetview. he probably just ran up and thought he was going to hop the guard rail. Looks like a dangerous situation in the dark. Just one more example of seemingly ignoring precautions

8. Sid Akbar says:

He was a good kid. I used to be his teacher. This is devastating to his friends and the Hmong community. May he rest in peace.

9. spike says:

all the hateful hurtful comments are not right get a dam life my nephew was a good kid and that dam bridge isnt safe never has been.

1. haters says:

hey idiot he didnt jumpo off the bridge get a dam life before making idiotic comment about something you dont know nada about in other f-off

10. Debauchee69 says:

I don’t like how SACPD responded to the emergency—it was like pulling teeth to get the officers out of their white toasty little guardshack under the overpass! I was under the overpass when it happened—SQUISH!!! The kid did not die instantly. He was screaming ‘Somebody Help Me; Won’t Somebody Help Me!!!” A Spanish lady (above) pleaded for help but people just walked by!!! Damn it, SACPD, when I tell you someone is hurt and needs you, YOU MOVE!!!

1. CCHARRINGTON77 says:

THEY FIGURE I DON’T GET PAYD ENOUGH FOR THAT SH^T WHY BOTHR….GET THE HELL OVR THERE AND SAVE WHAT EVR LIFE HE HAS TO SAY BYE TO HIS FAMILY…SACPD U MAKE ME SICK LIKE EXCERSIST…SICK.

2. spike says:

please e-mail me….. spikeisdead209@yahoo.com the family wants to speak to you.

3. kasia her says:

hi debauchee69 this is jonatons oldest sister i read most of your comments and i wanted to know if you can please email me about the story my family and i wants to know what you seen if you can please email me at l0ve.kissez209@yahoo.com u dont have to give me ur name or anything i would just like to know what had happend that night please it would bring closer to me and also my family please and thank you..-sia her..

11. Debauchee69 says:

If LT Brey wants an incident report from me, have him send me an e-mail. Yes, the delay to respond was only a minute but when you have a man fall 35′ onto open asphalt and is strong enough to scream for help, every second wasted is precious. The thing that creeped me out the most was the glare I received by the mototcycle cop standing in front of the guardshack—like I was disturbing him!!!

1. spike says:

id like to know more about this if you were there the family would like to know more im his older uncle

2. CCHARRINGTON77 says:

I KNEW JONATHAN SINCE HE WAS LIL AND HE WAS THE SWEETEST LIL BOY NXT TO ARRON AND REY REY AND HE HAD A BIG HEART TO LV HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND HELPD HIS MOM WHEN IN NEED SO B 4 U JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS THAT HE DID THIS AS A STUPIDITY , LOOK IN MIRROR AND SAY THAT TO UR SELF.

1. CHARRINGTON77 says:

HE GOT CAUGHT IN THE MOMENT OF NEW YEARS FIREWORKS AND MEARLY FORGOT THE GAP IN BETWEEN THE BRIDGE…IT WAS AN ACCIDENT PPLZ BELIEVE IT OR NOT THEY DO HAPPEN…..<3.

12. Auntie Cathryn says:

May you Rest In Peace Johnathon Her. You was a SWEET nephew that we cherish, and now that your gone… We are going to miss you much, but we wish you much LOVE.. We LOVE you!😦