Marine Helps Rescue Boy From Burning Apartment
Don't Miss This
- Kings Rally Late, Win Vegas Summer Title
- 40-Year-Old Mom With Two Kids Becomes NFL Cheerleader
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A United States Marine is being hailed a hero for helping a boy escape a fire burning in a Sacramento apartment.
The fire happened early this morning in the 9000 block of Casals Street.
The marine, 22-year-old Ruben Guerrero, had been celebrating his return home from Afghanistan with friends when he heard someone yelling.
He tried to break through the front door of the apartment but couldn’t get in so he went around the back and found an 8-year-old boy trying to climb out of a broken back window. Guerrero was able to pull the boy to safety.
“We don’t think, we just do. We protect our brothers. We protect everybody. I was just trying to protect the people here,” said Guerrero. “I don’t want anybody to lose their life.”
The boy suffered some cuts from broken glass.
When firefighters arrived, they were able to break down the front door and found the boy’s father and brother unconscious. Both were taken to the hospital where they are listed in critical condition.
Firefighters say flames started in the kitchen, but they’re investigating exactly what sparked fire.