Marine Helps Rescue Boy From Burning Apartment
Don't Miss This
- Yuba City Officer, Woman Shot Overnight
- Roseville Cuddling Business In High Demand As Holiday Season Approaches
- Woodland Police Acquire MRAP Rejected By Davis City Council Amid Police Militarization Debate
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A United States Marine is being hailed a hero for helping a boy escape a fire burning in a Sacramento apartment.
The fire happened early this morning in the 9000 block of Casals Street.
The marine, 22-year-old Ruben Guerrero, had been celebrating his return home from Afghanistan with friends when he heard someone yelling.
He tried to break through the front door of the apartment but couldn’t get in so he went around the back and found an 8-year-old boy trying to climb out of a broken back window. Guerrero was able to pull the boy to safety.
“We don’t think, we just do. We protect our brothers. We protect everybody. I was just trying to protect the people here,” said Guerrero. “I don’t want anybody to lose their life.”
The boy suffered some cuts from broken glass.
When firefighters arrived, they were able to break down the front door and found the boy’s father and brother unconscious. Both were taken to the hospital where they are listed in critical condition.
Firefighters say flames started in the kitchen, but they’re investigating exactly what sparked fire.