Vigil Held For Man Killed Over Alleged Mistaken Identity

RIO LINDA, Calif. (CBS13) — Stunned family members and friends held a vigil Monday at the site of the place that a 20-year-old man was killed Sunday morning.

David Valdez was chased down and killed just before 4:30 a.m. on March 20 by 29-year-old Steven Zinda, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department. Zinda mistakenly believed that Valdez was involved in the burglary of his home a short time earlier, investigators said.

David Valdez’s vehicle veered off 2nd Street and became stuck in the mud just before 4:30 a.m., just as 29-year-old Steven Zinda ran out of his home to search for the suspect that had apparently just burglarized his home, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.

Believing that Valdez was the suspect, Zinda told investigators he chased the younger man into a field a quarter-mile away and fatally wounded him. Valdez’s family said the victim was killed with an axe.

Deputies say they do not believe Valdez was involved in the burglary.

zinda photo Vigil Held For Man Killed Over Alleged Mistaken Identity

Steven Zinda

Family members gathered at the field where Valdez was killed, trying to come to grips with the tragic case of apparent mistaken identity.

“I want [Zinda] to know how much he’s hurting this family,” said Jessica Segoviano, Valdez’s sister. “He should have called the cops. He shouldn’t have hit him with an axe. I mean, what’s wrong with him?”

Valdez’s mother, Maria Nunez, said she hasn’t left the house since learning her son had been killed and is still struggling to understand why Zinda went after her son.

“He needs to know how much he’s broken my heart,” she said.

Zinda has been charged with murder and is being held without bail.

Comments

1. imaliberal says:

I wish the victim had been carrying a weapon of some sort. I am praying for the dear soul and his family.

2. Anna says:

even if this guy DID burglarize his home, why did he murder the kid? he wasnt in any danger…the guy was stuck in the mud for crying out loud. He could have just called the cops and say the burglar was near his home….give them the license number of the car…..something. What an animal Zinda is. He just ruined his own life over NOTHING. This is just sad. My condolences to the familes effected.

3. TiNKABELLAPHANTAH says:

i got chills listening and reading this how could you do that to someone? I think that he had something wrong with him because he looks crazy… GOD bless the victims family…

4. Segoviano says:

How could he do this like why couldn’t he just called the cops and told them the burglar was near his home or something even tho he wasn’t jumping his home he just took my brother away ugh like didn’t he think in his family i hope he rots in jail:::::::::!!!!!! R.I.P. David Valdez we will always have you in our hearts brother I LOVE YOU and we will miss you

1. AMADOR ALMANZA says:

I WAS SHOCKED TO READ,LET ALONE HEAR FROM MY MOTHER WHAT HAD HAPPENED TO YOUR BROTHER. ALTHOUGH I NEVER MET HIM I WOULD HOPE TO SEE A PICTURE OF HIM SOME WHERE SO I COULD MEDITATE ON HIM IN HIS SAD AND UNDESERVED DEATH. TO PRAY FOR HIS SOUL AND YOU AND YOUR MOTHER & FAMILY WHO ARE GRIEVING YOUR GREAT LOSS. I AM SOOO SORRY. I KNOW HE IS THE TYPE OF PERSON EVERY ONE WOULD LIKE IF THEY EVER CAME ACROSS HIS PATH. MAY GOD BE WITH YOU ALL. TAKE CARE.
      GOD’S BEST ALWAYS. SINCERELY, AMADOR ALMANZA

5. Tax Payer says:

No items of personal belonging are worth the rage and anger that ends the life of someone else. I could undrestand if one’s life were in danger or the lives of family members, but to kill over your junk that was stolen is plain stupidity. And because of that rage, a person who was not even connected lost their life. I hope the murderer gets all of the highest amount of sentencing possible. My heart felt condolences to his family and friends

6. Adrian Hernandez says:

I remember David like a brother, i went to rio linda high school with him..me David, Lupe, Brett, Matt, imer, and mike. I always considered us like a family. David was the oldest homie other than Matt. He was a nice guy, no problems at all. HE DIDNT DESERVE HIS DEATH. R.I.P David (Magic) Valdez. much respect…..from adrian..

7. utterly amazed says:

first i dont beliee annone brokein or tried to i think it was paranoia someone was out in thee storm.#2ifur afraid u lock the door and call for heelp..but under what kind of entitlement asinine world do u get to go outside and see someone Not in your home and just run them down to their death especially an unarmed kid of no threat in rain and wind thru mudd ..efin insane..the guy was tweeking idc if its just in his heead or from drugs..noone was burglarizing and even if they were like i said u call the police..burglars dont wait around they run..and normal folks call a cop if their afraid..but outsideof that he is not justified..even if the kid had stole something and he hadnt its stuff..get over it..u dont get the death penalty over a boombox..steve zinda belongs beehind bars..and hiss family owes his ex an apology and davids family compassion not excuss..

1. Angela says:

RIO LINDA DOES NOT HAVE A POLICE STATION! AND STEVEN DOES NOT DO ANY DRUGS. A BOOMBOX, REALLY? He has a 2 year old son at home, I would kill anyone who might harm my child.

2. Patti Johnson says:

First of all Steven was in his home. Whos the tweeker? The man wearing all red outside in the storm in a ditch at 4 am? David was not a kid. He was an adult. A gang banger who had been out all night long, why was he driving down 2nd st.??? Steven just dont run outside all hours of the night for no reason at all. Come on people!!! You make no sense…

8. Patti Johnson says:

PRICES YOU PAY WHEN YOU PAY WHEN YOU GANG BANG AND ROB HOMES.. SAD ISNT IT…

1. fernando says:

So the fact that Rio Linda does not have a police department makes it legal to kill people? That must be some unmoral and mindless Rio Linda logic right there.

9. Angela says:

Everyone Commenting: If you only knew steven, you would know that he is a great guy, nonviolent, and willing to stand up for his son’s safety! Rio Linda doesnt have a police station – but I bet NONE of you knew that, huh? So, calling the cops, waiting twenty plus minutes, all for what? A report? Steven doesn’t deserve to be treated like a murderer at all. He doesnt deserve to rot in prison and i strongly believe the facts won’t let him! So, David apparently got stuck? And was waiting for a truck? Yet I hear that he was having mechanical problems, which was it? Davids girlfriend and friends were little gang bangers and mad-doggin me in court today, and WHY? because i am stevens friend? shows you what kind of people that “good boy” David associated with……

10. rose says:

whether david was a gang banger or n0t is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT! if he had broke in to the house or n0t he wasnt in tha house anym0re n was obviously n0t putting steven and his child in danger. so to run down a kid no questions asked n chop him in the head wit an ax killing him is MURDER. he should get life. u ppl turnin this 0n the victim like its his fault r ridiculous. get real.

11. Patti Johnson says:

You should get real… He was not a kid first of all and how do you know Steven didnt take that ax from him and hit him with it??? He was not in the home cause he was chased out. You think every one should get away free every time they rob a home?

12. Stephanie Rodriguez says:

Thats the craziest thing that has happend in decades; who chases ppl with an ax? SCARRRRY! stevens a worthless person. & yes; i beleive steven was on somthing because of what he done. its MURDER! put his ass away for life!

13. claudia vasquez says:

Patti. He KILLED HIM! ITS MURDER! just shut up already. ppl don’t want your cmts on here. So just shut up. you don’t understand what the hell his family went through. David was most likley out late because he was having fun. you don’t know nothing patti. you say hes a nice guy? uhhhhhhhhh. i don’t know anyone that kills a person with a ax that is nice. get your stories together pattie and move on.

14. Adrian Hernandez says:

I CANT BELIEVE ANY OF YOU ARE BLAMING DAVID FOR HIS OWN DEATH! LITTLE GANG BANGERS!? WHO CARES IF HE WAS A GANG BANGER OR A THIEF! THAT DOES NOT GIVE ANY ONE THE RIGHT TO KILL ANYONE! I WENT TO DAVIDS FUNERAL LAST WEDNESDAY MORNING! PATTI YOU SHOULD OF BEEN THERE SEEING ALL HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN TEARS! DONT DISRESPECT HIM WHEN YOU DONT EVEN KNOW HIM! I KNEW HIM GREATLY. NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO SAY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU KNEW HIM!

15. Rena Valdez says:

just thought ‘d need be the person to inform you that you are an idiot. You as well that everyone else that continues to speak negatively about my love. Does not in any way contradict your homie Zinda’s ignornant (to put it mildly) decision to take David’s life. Despite your impression of David’s background and lifestyle, I knew him by heart. As far as im cocerned your so called friend, who you guysall claim to be such a quote “great person” is nothin but as low life as they come. David may have been a thug to you, but who’s the real criminal in all of this? So to keep it solid that sucka Zinda’s the thug. He who had claimed to love a son of his own, has taken away my mother-in-laws own son. Like I’ve stated many times, an idiot of epic proportions. And you noticed despite what you say about being a THUG I can pronounce spell and even use proper grammar, just shows you can’t go by what you’re told.

As far as the pain he’s caused is enough to deal with already. And for you to speak ill on person who does not deserve those harsh words you’ve let escape your lips, you all really needa have some respect for the situation.you wouldn’t want anyone to provoke you while you mourn so don’t start the vicious cycle and be about the respect for yourselves as well.

Honestly i wanted to stress most importantly that how Zinda’s family states that we must be real indecent to not think of the other family. Think of you for what???? You all are no factor in any of this, and you will recieve no sympathy from any of us WHATSOEVER!! He didnt take any of us into consideration when he did this. Because of him my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, David’s friends and family nor I. Will ever get to enjoy the company of a truly GREAT PERSON ever again. Nevertheless, this act will not go unpunished, ill personally see to it in court as well as with GOD. Oh, and as far as the hispanic slurs, your just haters that try to bring yourself up, by talkin down on us. It’s G tho. I promise that it will only come back to kick you in the a**. As far as everything else goes. All the haters can bite it. Thank you to all those who support David Valdez. To the itch-made suckah, flippin you the bird forever and always. I LOVE YOU DAVID! – RENA VALDEZ

16. Rebecca Cook says:

RIP David not a day goes by that im not thinking and praying for you. Well said Rena i already told you last night but again im sorry for the people on here being so ugly…We gotta keep our heads up and will we get justice for David…RIP DAVID VALDEZ we love and miss you dearly…and for you on here still saying bad things about David you should be ashamed he is Dead how dare you…hes not here to defend himself because that evil man took him…You need a reality check big time