Billionaire Investor Wants To Keep NBA Team In Sacramento

NEW YORK (CBS13) — Mayor Kevin Johnson made a surprise announcement at the NBA Board of Governors meeting in New York City Thursday identifying Pittsburgh Penguins owner Ron Burkle as an interested Sacramento NBA owner.

The mayor told reporters that Burkle would want to be a majority owner. Without getting into details, Mayor Johnson also indicated that a local minority ownership group had been assembled.

Following the meeting, Burkle Group Partner Darius Anderson made the following statement:

“The Maloofs have been strong owners and a positive part of the Sacramento community for years, but it is important that Kings fans and residents of the Sacramento region know that the Burkle Group is ready to commit the resources and expertise necessary to keep the NBA in Sacramento. Our group believes Sacramento is an important NBA market that can thrive with new ideas, new resources and an absolute commitment to delivering the best on and off-court experiences for fans.

“This group, led by Pittsburgh Penguins owner Ron Burkle, is prepared to assist the Mayor by bringing significant resources and the best possible expertise in professional sports, facilities development and financing to bear in the effort to keep Sacramento as an NBA city.

The Maloofs are using the Board of Governors Meeting to gauge the support of the other owners in the league; they would need 15 owners to vote in favor of moving to Anaheim.  A relocation request has never been denied before.

Anaheim’s mayor is also in New York making his case for a Kings move down south.

“Orange County is it’s own market, that we’re different from Los Angeles,” said Mayor Tom Tait.

Comments

1. Bob says:

“A fool and his money are soon parted” W.C. Fields….looks like we have one here.

1. Pwiggle says:

Hey BOB…that quote comes from Proverbs..its this really popular book….(wc fields…c’mon man)…Bobs a Jackhole!!!!!

1. Jeff says:

Actually, it’s not. It’s from “Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry” by Thomas Tusser. See http://www.holybibletrivia.org/display/bt_display.jsp?bcontent=not-in-the-bible for other quotes NOT from the bible.

2. Really Bob? says:

Yes, Bob, that’s how he became a billionaire… by being stupid. Nice contribution.

3. Lorraine says:

Yes, really Bob? You MUST NOT be a TRUE Sacramento Kings Fan!

1. phill says:

I am not a fan of basketball…let the kings go. tired of it already, let the magoof’s go and fail in l.a.

2. bob says:

Not a kings fan, ie the moloffs dont care if they stay or go…..just stop trying to rip off the taxpayers.

4. Lorraine says:

This is GREAT News as Sacramento KINGS fans need it!

1. Bob says:

The fans might need it, you might need it but the tax payers dont.need or want it.

1. Lorraine says:

REALLY wow! I found it interesting you only chose to reply to my comments, at least I wasn’t making any kind of RUDE comment to you!

5. sac23kings says:

Hey Phill, if you don’t like basketball, then why bother commenting? After all, you had a choice to click and read about something you don’t even like? Not to mention taking the time out of your day to comment twice?

Anyway, after last night and seeing all of the sadness, it is nice to have a glimmer of hope, no mater how dim. I hope that the Maloofs are willing to sell, despite all of the posturing. But Stern still hates us anyway, so he could do his best to derail anything.

1. phill says:

I will comment where ever I choose because I fought for my country that gives you the same right not to like my comment. As for commenting twice wasn’t aware I double posted on this story. I also would like to know is there a limit of how many times one could post. If there is I guess I won’t get a reply from you. Lol. I didn’t read the story, I just read the comments to see how pathetic some fans can truly be.

1. name here says:

yawn..are u done?

6. Drushkin says:

If you’re not a kings fan this is not your venue. Burn in effigy, that’s your venue.

Hopefully this news carries as much weight as it’s bolstering my hope.

7. Monica Brady says:

Oh I hope the Kings can stay in Sacramento! They need the team! Without it, there would be a huge void… I may not live there anymore, but I will ALWAYS be a Kings fan at heart!!!

8. Molly Brown says:

Bring back the Lady Monarchs – a National Championship team to Sacramento. Let the Kings go south to start over again.

9. mike says:

Oh Sacramento…Everything this city does is embarrassing. The city, the team, and even the comments. I have lived here for 10 years now and I know why other cities in CA laugh at us. Our downtown is a complete joke, our housing prices are some of the lowest in CA rivaling Stockton, and the PEOPLE are SO inept. If this city had a CLUE they would exploit the ONLY two fresh water river system, put a new arena in AT ALL COSTS and give the city a chance for business owners (new and old) to make this city one that has sustainability. There is NOT one city where a new arena has been built that has failed. Even in Sacramento where local government and policy fails at everything, a new Arena would inject exactly what the area needs. If the Kings leave and an arena is not built you may has well move the Capitol to Stockton because it will be the same town. And oh yeah, bringing back the Monarchs is about as good as idea as the vertical housing/loft projects that CalPers paid for. Great job Sacas!!!

1. name here says:

heres an idea..MOVE!

10. name here says:

no body cared when the Monarchs left atleast they won a championship

1. d says:

they didn’t leave they got disbanded

11. bitcoin says:

t351v2i cd74b9c plx2dw8 q9p1ktu x49719b.

12. BMihaelll says:

Hello
    I wasent looking for that but still a great post
    how did you guys found this information??thank you for your article I saw it on Google And I saved it . I’ll share. Please send me updates

13. Yeti Bubbles says:

Excellent task writing this article. I’d like to read more on this subject.

14. Columns says:

This webpage was put into my bookmarks. I can not wait to learn even more about this topic.