Two Teens Discover Woman’s Body While Fishing In Local Lake

MARYSVILLE (CBS13) — Two Marysville teens made a grisly discovery while fishing at Ellis Lake Wednesday night; they reeled in a woman’s body.

Police have identified the victim as 35-year-old Kimberly Merritt. She is a mother two boys and a former mini-stock car racer who is well known at the Marysville raceway. Emergency responders spent 15 minutes trying to resuscitate her.

Police say it is unclear if her death was a crime or an accident, but they are calling the death suspicious.

Merritt’s boyfriend of four years tells CBS13 that she was a devoted mother and would never have hurt herself.

“There wasn’t anything wrong. When I left for work she was happy,” said Meritt’s boyfriend Larry Lambert Junior. “I told her I love her and that was the last time I saw her.”

Marysville police have not commented on the investigation.

Comments

1. Lois Brown says:

joe yancey is my nephew,him and his friend ralph is still pretty shook up over this.but i am very proud of both the boys,they are really terrific boys.

1. John D Castro says:

I can’t even imagine how I’d feel if it happened to me. Yes you boys did a terrific job.Good luck to you both.

1. Retired old Man says:

Traffic job?? They made a lucky catch and a phone call to the police—what is terrific about that??

2. Lois Brown says:

TY..THESE BOYS ARE STILL VERY UPSET .

3. Lois Brown says:

RETIRED OLD MAN, YOUR COMMENT IS VERY RUDE AND CRUDE . HAVE RESPECT FOR THE DEAD ,YOUR WORDS ARE VERY OFFENSIVE…

2. Vibrant Working Veteran and Sac State Student says:

Lois,

As a former flight medic I know all to well life saving efforts are nothing like what they portray in the movies. When you perform CPR, it is because the person is dead. Most of the time they stay dead. The boys tried and should remember that.

I don’t think anyone in this situation is lucky. Finding a dead body would not make my day. I am sure the young woman would feel much luckier to not have been dead in the lake.

1. Lois Brown says:

VIRBRANT WORKING WETRAN,,,YES THEY WERE VERY BRAVE TO GO AHEAD AND FINISH GETTING THE YOUNG WOMANS BODY OUT AFTER THEY RELIZED THAT SHE WAS DEAD,I AM NOT GLORIFYING THAT THE BOYS ARE HERO’S OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT .THEY ARE JUST COMMON 17 YEAR OLD BOYS THAT TRIED TO HELP,BUT SOME OF THESE COMMENTS ON HERE ARE VERY CRUDE.AND SOME OF THEM OUR NICE,IT WAS 2 ADULT PEOPLE THAT HELPED THEM GET KIM OUT AND IT WAS THE ADULTS THAT TRIED CPR,I IMAGINE THE BOYS WOULD HAVE TRIED IF THEY KNEW HOW,THE WOULDN’T HAVE HESITAITED FOR A MINUTE IF THEY THOUGHT THERE WAS ANY CHANCE TO HELP KIM. TY FOR UR COMMENT.

2. judy says:

The teens reeling in a body, call for rescue,time slips by,the emergency crew arrives tries for 15 minutes more to get this person to breathe again,dont the brain start to die in minutes? In the meantime more minutes slip by.What a waste!

1. Vibrant Working Veteran and Sac State Student says:

Yes, I agree. To bad we are not all first responder trained and carry automated defibrillators with us…

3. Kathy says:

OMG – to pull a body up and TRY & resuscitate it. Were they doing mouth to mouth on a dead person or chest compressions? Just awful and the poor woman. It’s going to take these kids sometime to get over this. Hope there is some closure for this case and soon enough the boys will be back out fishing again.

1. Lois Brown says:

TY KATHY THE BOYS ARE STILL VERY UPSET AND SOME OF THE NASTY COMMENT AREN’T VERY GOOD,I HOPE THE BOY’S BOUNCE BACK VERY SOON .THEY ARE REALLY TERRIFIC BOY’S AND HELP’S ANYONE THAT NEEDS HELP.

1. Melissa in NorCal says:

You need to stop typing in Caps. It means yelling at the top of your lungs over the internet. Unecessary.

2. Kailan says:

I\’d vneutre that this article has saved me more time than any other.

4. There is something Fishy about this... Investigate this further... says:

You know what they say…………….

” The first one who smelt it, dealt it “…………….

Think about that one………

Maybe, Joe Yancey and his friend have a little something else the might like to say??????????????????????

Come on Boy’s, confession is good for the soul…………….

I feel that there is something that the Boy’s forgot to mention………….

I am usually right about these things….. And my senses tell me that, these boy’s need to be questioned further………

1. sanitywillprevail says:

Your comments are offensive!

1. Gemineye says:

I agree. Leave the kids out of it! Just because they found the body doesn’t mean they had anything to do with the death!

2. Lois Brown says:

I WANT TO THANK YOU AND GEMINEYE FOR YOUR COMMENT’S,THESE BOY’S DID SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE DID.

2. Lois Brown says:

THESE 2 BOYS AND A COUPLE OF OTHER PEOPLE PULLED KIM OUT OF THE WATER ,2 OF THE PEOPLE THAT HELPED ARE BUS DRIVERS,,THEY PERFORMED CPR ON HER AND COULD NOT REVIVE HER BEFORE THE OFFICERS OR PARAMEDICS GOT THERE.THE BOYS SAW WHAT THEY THOUGHT WAS A BLACK PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG,THEY DID NOT SAY SHE WAS IN A BAG..NO ONE IS CLAIMING TO BE HERO’S ,AND WHO EVER TRIES TO SAY THESE 2 BOYS DID IT ARE NUTS,IF YOU KNEW THE BOY’S YOU WOULDN’T BE SAYING THAT AT ALL.,THEY ARE BOTH TERRIFIC KIDS AND HELP’S EVERYONE.DON’T GO PUTTING REMARKS ABOUT THEM IN THE PAPER UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT,THEY ARE THE ONE’S THAT ARE SPENDING THE SLEEPLESS NIGHT THAT ARE RIDDLED WITH NIGHTMARES WHEN THEY DO SHUT THEIR EYE’S,NOT YOU…PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLACE OF THESE 2 SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD BOY’S THAT HAS GONE THROUGH THIS TRAUMA,THEN SEE HOW YOU FEEL. AND YOU ARE WRONG ON THIS ONE,AND YOUR SENSES ARE ALSO WRONG, I BELIEVE YOU OWE THESE BOY’S AN APOLOGY.

1. Lois Brown says:

AND ALSO THESE BOY’S HAVE NOTHING TO CONFESS TO !!! THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG…

3. Lois Brown says:

I AM RELOOKING AT THESE COMMENTS,ALL OF OUR NAMES (GIVEN OR SCREEN NAMES) ARE ON HERE WHAT ABOUT THE NAME OF THE PERSON THAT IS ACCUSING THESE BOY’S OF THIS?IS THAT PERSON TO SCARED TO PUT A NAME TO HIS OR HER COMMENTS?HMMM,MAYBE WE ALL SHOULD BE SUPISCIOUS OF THIS PERSON!!! WHY CAN’T YOU PUT YOUR NAME OR SOMETHING SO WE WILL KNOW WHAT TO CALL YOU WHEN WE COMMENT ON WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.

5. sanitywillprvail says:

Your comment may contain elements of humor, but it is completely insensitive, rendering it humorless.

6. Matthew Parvin says:

Hey man, quit insulting each other, someone was murdered, yes, I said murdered, they found a plastic bag and her body was inside? No on commites suicide by placing themselves into a plastic bag, someone put her into it…who? Is the question. Of course, I am sure they will look at the boyfriend, but who did it? I don’t have a clue, but Marysville is my hometown, I was born and went to school there until 8th grade, went south to Southern California from there. But I can’t believe this story. This, is horrible…..

7. JMHO55 says:

This article says nothing about a plastic bag. Is that information from another site? If so post the link, otherwise it looks like you’re making things up.

1. Matthew Parvin says:

My wife told me about the plastic bag, she heard it on the news while I was getting her coffee, she is the one, that said, on the news, they said she was in a plastic bag,..,….you are right, this article doesn’t say anything about a plastic bag, but, you need to re-read the article. Also, I read, on another site, that the boy’s thought they saw a plastic bag and wanted to see what was in it,….I read that on another site…I will try and find it. I will copy and paste it here, if I do….

8. rockergirl says:

RIP Kim, I know the Merritt family from the track in Marysville please show some respect and no she was not in a plastic bag……

9. Richard says:

The video commentator talked about the plastic bag and that the boys were reeling it in before another bystander made the discovery that it was a body. There was no discussion as to whether the body was IN the bag or just had a black bag wrapped around the side of her body that was also dragged on to shore simultaneously. Autopsy and forensics will determine these details.

1. Moonlightowl7 says:

Funny Richard, maybe I missed it, but when did they say it was a “black” bag?

10. Kristin Merritt Rosenblum says:

My name is Kristin Merritt Rosenblum and Kim Merritt was my neice as well as a mother to two young boys that no longer have her here! I can not believe the evil and unspeakable “gossip” that some of you have written here!

I can only pray when her boys are older and can google their mothers death, dose not read this garbage that people that do not even know her have had the nerve to say here!

Trust me that neither of these young men have anything to do with this. One way or another there ,will be an end to this story and their names will only be mentioned as two friends that chose to go fishing on the wrong lake on the wrong day. I hope that they are not to harmed mentaly and see the good in what they did!

Grow up and get a life!

1. flint02 says:

well said

2. Moonlightowl7 says:

Could not have said it better myself. If the posts here are any indication as to where society is going. I am very afraid for our future.

I hope what happened to your niece is discovered and it helps bring some peace for you and her children. The fact that this will never make sense may well be the hardest thing to overcome. Try and remember, that you or anyone else except the criminal is responsible or could have effected a different outcome.

It seems to me that Marysville has made the news all to often lately, I hope that this trend reverses and it can go back to being a quiet safe place to be.

11. lois brown says:

ty kristin..and the boys thanks you…

12. avictor says:

Damn I thought catching a huge frog was traumatizing.
    (it made sounds of pain while I struggled to get the hook out)
    Oh I have similar story about a catfish who cried like a baby sending me running back to the water to free it.
    This was before I learned how quickly hooks left in mouth become a non-issue, they dissolve rather quickly.

Sorry, I hope the discovery gives some family peace and the deceased RIP.

13. arizonagranny says:

Did any of you responders to this tragedy even read the article, they were fishing and snagged her body and pulled her to shore with the help of 2 adults comman since would tell you she was dead for Gods sake who in their right minds would try to retusitate some one who is dead. Not one word was written about her being in a plastic bag for Gods sake read before you post. It would be interesting to know if she lived near the lake, upstream of the lake near a stream or river that runs into the lake however, as usual the writer writes as little as possible regarding the incident. avictor you are about as amusing as a rattle snake bite

14. Arthur Bass says:

They must have used some reel good fishing line

15. Steve M. says:

The headline should read, “Two boys get the ‘Catch of the Day’ “

16. Moonlightowl7 says:

I know the police are being quiet about this case. What just nag’s at me is where this lake is. Right on a bust state route, in the middle of town, not in the woods. There are always people driving by, walking around, looking out the windows of houses and businessmen. If this goes more than 48 hrs without being solved or at least having some solid leads. Someone dropped the ball.

17. Kristin Merritt Rosenblum says:

I can not even beleive the things some of you have the nerve to post about my niece! Loosers like Steve M. and Mr. Arther Bass! But Avictor you are a real winner! Post a childish comment and then do the R.I.P. bull! Wow! You guys are probley one of the a–holes that spray painted the crosses that her little boys made for her and put them near the place she was pulled out of the water so they could go there and feel some what close to her since she was cremated and has no grave for them to visit!

Sincerly Kim Merritts Aunt!