Three Hikers Presumed Dead In Yosemite Are All From Stanislaus Co.

FRESNO, Calif. (CBS13/AP) – Three Stanislaus County residents are presumed dead after plunging over Vernal Fall in Yosemite National Park on Tuesday,

The visitors were identified on Wednesday as 22-year-old Hormiz David of Modesto, 27-year-old Ninos Yacoub of Turlock, and 21-year-old Ramina Badal of Manteca.

The three were at the park on an outing with a group from their church, Mar Gewargis Parish in Ceres. Badal’s cousin tells CBS Sacramento all three were active members of the church and the Assyrian community. She also says Ramina was a “great girl” with plans to become a nurse.

The Park’s search and rescue unit closed the Mist Trail leading to the fall on Tuesday afternoon while searching for the bodies. The trail was reopened Wednesday as rescuers searched the banks of the river for the bodies.

Park officials say witnesses saw the group go into the water above Vernal Fall about 25 feet from the precipice. Several people apparently warned the group to get away from the fast flowing river. Park officials say the hikers had to cross a metal guardrail designed to keep people away from the river.

Record snowfall has created spectacular waterfalls in the park, but it’s a treacherous beauty. Visitors often underestimate the force of water, and the mist from waterfalls creates slippery conditions on trails.

Comments

1. Reality says:

Here is yet a different sign:

The text reads: “Danger: Waterfall! STAY OUT OF WATER! Powerful, hidden currents will carry you over the fall. Stay back from slippery rock at the water’s edge. IF YOU GO OVER THE FALL, YOU WILL DIE.”

How much more explicit can they be? I mean really?

2. JJ says:

To Reality – You couldn’t have said it any better!

Combining nature and idiots can make for a deadly mix.

1. justin pelletier says:

Unless of course you grew up with Ramina, then i think maybe you would feel as though you would reconsider your decision to post such a comment. If your friend had fallen, you probably would not have had it in you do something about it, before you spread your passing glances judgment, put yourself in the situation before you insult the intellect of the recently deceased. I fear for those who choose to love and confide in you, when and if, should destiny choose it, find yourself in a life or death situation with someone you love. because have misplaced their better judgment in the wrong the being. For someone as spineless as this…could not have a heart big enough to put their lives on the line. and clearly is no more intelligent with their words or tact.

RIP Ramina

-Justin Pelletier

1. Reality says:

justin pelletier writes: “Unless of course you grew up with Ramina, then i think maybe you would feel as though you would reconsider your decision to post such a comment.”

Marco articulated this extremely well already. My anger would also be toward my friend for not using her brain and for not respecting nature.

———–

“If your friend had fallen, you probably would not have had it in you do something about it”

LMAO…. dude, what should anyone have done???? If anyone tried to help with the speed and strength of that current, they were for all intents and purposes committing suicide. It isn’t noble to try and kill yourself for no reason while also letting the people who you are trying to help die too… that is just stupidity.

The only person who could have saved them was themselves by not being imbeciles in the first place.

(Well, Superman could have saved them too just like he did that little boy at Niagara Falls, but now Christopher Reeve is dead, so that point is moot.)

—————————–

“before you spread your passing glances judgment, put yourself in the situation before you insult the intellect of the recently deceased.”

Using the word “intellect” in the same sentence as these “recently deceased” is borderline laughable. It is because of their LACK OF INTELLECT that they are dead.

Seriously, what part of that railing did they not understand? What part of those plethora of signs did they not understand? What part of other tourists telling them not to did they not understand? What part of basic common sense did they not understand?

————————

“I fear for those who choose to love and confide in you, when and if, should destiny choose it, find yourself in a life or death situation with someone you love. because have misplaced their better judgment in the wrong the being. For someone as spineless as this…could not have a heart big enough to put their lives on the line. and clearly is no more intelligent with their words or tact.”

LOL… someone like Marco or myself never would have helped indeed. Do you know why? It would have been because we wouldn’t have been daft enough to be the wrong side of the railing to begin with!!!!

Peace!

2. Reality says:

Thanks JJ… in the spirit of “Don’t drink and drive,” you could start a new campaign should be started, “Don’t mix nature and idiots.”

Cheers!

3. justin says:

And like my friend you could have fallen in attempts at saving, and im sure your friends ad family would love seeing and hearing some random individual insult your memory with such unbecoming remarks, One would hope better out of people.

-JP

1. Reality says:

justin writes: “And like my friend you could have fallen in attempts at saving,”

First off, sorry for your loss. I feel sorry for you because you lost a friend (unless you were there and didn’t stop her, then I don’t feel sorry for you).

I don’t feel sorry for your friend.

Secondly, as for my situation, I saw the impending danger with the little girl and instead of my passing them and making it down to the bottom much earlier, I intentionally slowed my pace. walked closely behind her and had already handed over anything extraneous (e.g. camera to the person I was walking with). I stayed toward the inside of the path and had my right hand free to grab her if necessary (with my friend behind me to help if necessary). When she slipped and started to fall, her left arm flailed up in the air, I grabbed it and threw my weight toward the mountain away from the cliff. She didn’t weigh very much and so I had confidence I could save her. If it had been Andre the Giant in front of me, I wouldn’t have grabbed him because he would have just pulled me over the edge as well.

So my friend, the difference between us is that I used my brain and common sense and your friend didn’t.

————-

“and im sure your friends ad family would love seeing and hearing some random individual insult your memory with such unbecoming remarks,”

If I had died doing what these three people did, I’d want my friends and family to think I was a complete imbecile. Why? Because that is reality. Living in a world of delusion is not healthy.

If your friend insisted on constantly drying her hair with an electric dryer while sitting in a warm bathtub and electrocuted herself, we should feel sorry for her? I mean really?

If she was sitting and eating lunch at a restaurant on an outside patio and a freak accident happened where a car hit another car, went airborne, crossed the sidewalk in the air and landed on top of your friend minding her own business, then yes, I’d feel sorry for her because she died through no fault of her own.

As for friends and family not wanting to hear “some random individual insult her memory with such unbecoming remarks,” then I highly suggest her friends and family don’t read news stories about her. No one made you come to this site and read this. What did you expect people to be saying…. “Oh poor three people…. how were they supposed to know that you shouldn’t walk across the precipice of a waterfall?” Come on.

————

“One would hope better out of people.”

Yes, one would hope better of people… that they wouldn’t be so ridiculously stupid to wade out into rushing water 25 feet from the precipice of a waterfall when signs, railings and other tourists tell them not to.

Peace!

4. Marco B says:

I’m sorry for your loss Justin, but I agree with “reality”. If it were my friend that was killed in an incident as tragic as this, my anger would be towards my friend and anyone with them that thought the activity was a wise choice. I’m tired of the population of this country not being accountable for their actions. It was a stupid choice, and it had TRAGIC consequences. And, as shown by “reality’s” numerous links, one that could have been EASILY AVOIDED.

1. Reality says:

Well said Marco…. kudos!

5. jackie says:

Such a tragic ending. Bye the way has anyone heard or read if they ever found the other doctor that was swept off the trail bridge by the water fall above hetch Hetchy?

6. Reality says:

Also note that the people in this story were Christians from a church.

As I’ve stated on here numerous times, studies have been done in terms of religious beliefs and IQ. Atheists had the highest IQ’s, followed by agnostics, followed by people who have medium religious beliefs, followed by the devout hardcore believers coming in dead last. Thus, the more you believe, the lower your IQ. Therefore, God created his believers as the least intelligent segment of society.

These people certainly support those claims. They live in a world of delusion where they believe in an antiquated 2K year old book that is riddled with error after error…. all the while believing it is inerrant. The Bible was written by uneducated men 2K years ago, many of whom would have believed the Earth to be flat. The facts are that a 5th grader today knows more about the world that we live in than did the uneducated people who wrote the Bible. It is ironic that people would NEVER let a 5th grader dictate the course of their life, but when it comes to the Bible, then it all of the sudden “magically” becomes OK to do so. It is absolutely mind-boggling.

In this case, the delusion came in the form that they could walk near the precipice of the waterfall (despite railings, signs and other tourists telling them not to) and be fine. Perhaps they erroneously believed God wouldn’t let them fall.

Even Ramina’s own sister was quoted today as saying that she still has hope and is praying that they are still alive. Delusion, delusion, delusion. First off, virtually every single study of scientific value shows that prayer does NOT work. Secondly, it is a matter of common sense that these three are dead. Her sister holding on to this delusion is not healthy… in fact it is hurting her.

Ramina’s selfish act of stupidity has caused her friends and family immense pain. Her sister who was with her and saw her go over the falls will probably be traumatized for life as a result.

Perhaps if these people spent less time in church and more time in science class (ironically Ramina was studying to be a nurse), then they would have understood how the snowpack affects the strength of the current, how water constantly running over the granite rocks smoothes them to be ridiculously slippery, etc, etc, etc.

But hey, despite them not paying enough attention in science class, at least they’ll be nominated for a Darwin Award.

Cheers!

1. Melissa in norCal says:

Normally, I would agree with you, but in this case, I can hardly see their faith playing a role in their deaths. It was more likely their age. Young people have always been reckless and will continue to do so until the end of time. I knew a man, one I loved, athiest – high IQ, who did sometihng dumb one day in his youth (24) and he died. Young men and women, even very intelligent ones, do dumb things and sometimes they don’t survive the experience. That is nature.