Video Shows LAPD Preventing Attempted Suicide
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Police Department is circulating a link to dramatic video footage it says shows officers hoisting a suicidal man back from the edge of the 13th floor of a downtown apartment building.
In the incident, caught on tape Thursday, several officers can be seen scrambling to pull a man back onto a ledge.
Officers lean through safety railings then grab him by his underwear and grapple with him for several minutes as his legs flail over the abyss.
The LAPD says the man, in his early 30s, was distraught after breaking up with his girlfriend.
Lt. Paul Vernon says the man bit the arm of one officer who, despite the pain, did not let go.
The man was not arrested but was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)