Dangling Metal Beam Forces Closure Of Highway 99
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO COUNTY (CBS13) - A 12-foot beam that dangled from under a Highway 99 overpass Monday clogged traffic for hours.
The steel bridge support was ripped off the bottom of the bridge by a passing big rig. Caltrans had to use a blowtorch to cut off the steel beam on the 77-year-old McConnel railroad bridge.
At 14’5”, it’s one of the lowest in the Sacramento area, according to Caltrans.
One of two southbound lanes was closed for more than two hours. Traffic backed was up for about a mile.
A witness says the truck was out of Modesto and was carrying car parts.