Bay Area Robbers Snatching Gold Chains Off Victims
Don't Miss This
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
- Davis Police MRAP Just One Of Hundreds Of Items Acquired From Military Surplus In Yolo County
- East Porterville Residents Without Water As Wells Go Dry During California Drought
- Police: California Plane Stowaway Arrested At Phoenix Airport
Get Breaking News First
OAKLAND (CBS SF) – The Oakland Police Department is alerting residents about an increase of street robberies that target people wearing gold chains.
Reports of gold chain robberies have increased throughout Oakland with a concentration of the incidents in the Fruitvale business area, near the Fruitvale BART station and in residential areas around Lake Merritt.
Most victims have been women and the suspects usually approach on foot, snatch the chain from the neck and run away, Oakland police said.
It appears there are several groups of suspects with varying descriptions snatching the chains, police said.
Oakland police have partnered with BART police to patrol areas around BART stations and safety awareness information is being distributed throughout communities.
Police advise residents to be vigilant and to not become distracted by electronic devices, such as cellphones. Residents should also stay in well-lit and populated areas. For those wearing gold chains, police advise putting it under clothing.
If there is someone suspicious or a suspicious situation, call Oakland police at (510) 777-3211.