Bay Area Robbers Snatching Gold Chains Off Victims
Don't Miss This
- Women Respond To Ice Bucket Challenge By Raising Money For California Town With Dry Wells
- Stockton Man Pleads For Return Of Dog Stolen From His Car
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
Get Breaking News First
OAKLAND (CBS SF) – The Oakland Police Department is alerting residents about an increase of street robberies that target people wearing gold chains.
Reports of gold chain robberies have increased throughout Oakland with a concentration of the incidents in the Fruitvale business area, near the Fruitvale BART station and in residential areas around Lake Merritt.
Most victims have been women and the suspects usually approach on foot, snatch the chain from the neck and run away, Oakland police said.
It appears there are several groups of suspects with varying descriptions snatching the chains, police said.
Oakland police have partnered with BART police to patrol areas around BART stations and safety awareness information is being distributed throughout communities.
Police advise residents to be vigilant and to not become distracted by electronic devices, such as cellphones. Residents should also stay in well-lit and populated areas. For those wearing gold chains, police advise putting it under clothing.
If there is someone suspicious or a suspicious situation, call Oakland police at (510) 777-3211.