Mayor Kevin Johnson Marries Michelle Rhee
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Mayor Kevin Johnson and Michelle Rhee married over the weekend.
The mayor confirmed the report during a radio interview Tuesday on Sports 1140.
Click here to listen to the announcement.
Rhee is a former Washington D.C. public school chancellor. She served on Sacramento’s St. Hope school board from 2006 to 2007 where she and Johnson met. She founded an education advocacy non-profit, Students First, which is headquartered in Sacramento.
The wedding came almost a year to the day after the couple’s originally scheduled wedding date. Johnson’s office announced Tuesday that the ceremony was held Saturday at Blackberry Farm near Knoxville with a small group of friends and family.
The former NBA star and the education reform advocate had planned to marry on Sept. 4, 2010, in a much larger ceremony in Sacramento, but they rescheduled the nuptials after a wave of public interest. Johnson and Rhee have been engaged since 2009.
A honeymoon is planned, but a spokesman says the mayor will not discuss details because he plans to surprise his new bride with them.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)