Suspect Tries Stealing Fire Truck After Post Office Burglary
Don't Miss This
- More Than 100 American Laser Skincare Closures Leave Customers Without Thousands Of Dollars
- Rancho Cordova Neighborhood Watch Started With A Facebook Group
- Sacramento Gun Stores Gearing Up For Black Friday Sales Surge
- Call Kurtis: Smart & Stupid Black Friday Buys
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
CARMICHAEL (CBS13) — A suspect who allegedly broke into a Carmichael post office early Sunday morning injured himself while trying to make his escape by stealing a fire truck, authorities said.
Sacramento Metro firefighters responded to the post office on Fair Oaks Boulevard at about 6:00 a.m. after receiving reports of an alarm. As three firefighters investigated a broken window at the rear of the the building, a burglary suspect apparently jumped through the front plate glass window of the post office, suffering numerous cuts and bruises.
The suspect hopped into the driver’s seat of the fire engine and accidentally set off the sirens and air horn.
“They first thought it was another piece of apparatus going to another call, but then the engineer of the engine said, ‘No, that’s our engine,’ ” said battalion chief Darren Taylor.
When the firefighters ran back to their engine, the suspect fled. The crew gave chase until a Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputy arrived and helped take the man into custody.
The suspect, who has not been identified, was transported to the hospital in unknown condition.