Suspect Tries Stealing Fire Truck After Post Office Burglary
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
CARMICHAEL (CBS13) — A suspect who allegedly broke into a Carmichael post office early Sunday morning injured himself while trying to make his escape by stealing a fire truck, authorities said.
Sacramento Metro firefighters responded to the post office on Fair Oaks Boulevard at about 6:00 a.m. after receiving reports of an alarm. As three firefighters investigated a broken window at the rear of the the building, a burglary suspect apparently jumped through the front plate glass window of the post office, suffering numerous cuts and bruises.
The suspect hopped into the driver’s seat of the fire engine and accidentally set off the sirens and air horn.
“They first thought it was another piece of apparatus going to another call, but then the engineer of the engine said, ‘No, that’s our engine,’ ” said battalion chief Darren Taylor.
When the firefighters ran back to their engine, the suspect fled. The crew gave chase until a Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputy arrived and helped take the man into custody.
The suspect, who has not been identified, was transported to the hospital in unknown condition.