Jury Awards $73M To Victims In Rollover Crash
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SACRAMENTO (AP) — A Sacramento County jury says Ford Motor Co. must pay $73 million in damages to three plaintiffs after a fatal 2004 rollover crash.
The Sacramento Bee reported Thursday that the family of 41-year-old Tony Mauro, who died, and two plaintiffs who were injured should receive $50 million in punitive damages.
Separately, the jury also awarded them additional amounts for their injuries and loss.
The rollover of an Econoline van on Interstate 5 in Kern County killed two and injured two others. Investigators determined a separated tire tread was the cause.
Evidence at trial showed Ford knew the tire was defective but did not contact dealers or customers. In a statement, Ford called the awards unfair and said the tragedy “could have been prevented with proper seat belt use …”
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press)