Forbes Ranks Sacramento Fifth Most Miserable City In America

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Six Northern California cities made Forbes’ list of the worst places to live in the country, including Sacramento at No. 5 for the second year in a row, according to the magazine.

After ranking No. 1 last year, Forbes moved Stockton to No. 11 on its “American’s Most Miserable Cities” list, which was released Thursday. Stockton dropped out of the top 10 for the first time since at least 2008. It was No. 1 last year and No. 2 in 2010.

Miami is this year’s most miserable city, according to the list.

Other California cities to make the inglorious list: Merced (No. 15), Bakersfield (No. 17), Vallejo (No. 18) and Modesto (No. 19).

Forbes looks at the 200 largest metropolitan areas in the country and makes up its list based on 10 factors, including crime, unemployment, foreclosures, taxes, home price declines, commute times and the success of its sports teams.

Forbes noted that Sacramento is a one-team town and that team, the Kings, have been awful the last several seasons. It has also been hit hard by foreclosures, declining home prices and unemployment.

This is the fifth time Stockton has appeared in the rankings. In 2010, the city was listed as No. 2.

Sacramento also made Forbes’ list of worst places to find a job in 2011, ranking the sixth-worst.

Comments

1. Jimmy Lewis says:

We’ve lived in the midwest and on the east coast, and Sacramento is one of the most pleasant, convenient, and weather-friendly cities we’ve ever lived. Since when does a sports franchise — successful or unsuccessful — have anything to do with the livability of a city? Forbes obviously has lost its mind — if it ever had one.

2. Mallrat says:

1. Dan says:

“Lets see, High Taxs, out of control spending, AB32, CRAB telling us we have to drive green, The state leaders living in Dream Land, Jobs leaving, Public sector unions running the state….Why isn’t better?? I guess were not taxed enough or progressive enough?? I mean Socialism works so well in the classroom,why not in the real world??”

Oh Puleaseeeee….. Don’t you people ever get tired of parroting all that right wing nonsense.

1. owl says:

The facts speake for themselves. Open your mind and look at what the policys of this state and country have done!

2. Dan says:

The facts speake for themselves

Yes they do..!!! And this was clearly proven by the lasted report from the US Department of Labor..

According to a report just released by the department of Labor statistics. States controlled by Democrats have nearly a 20 percent increase in employment rates as compared to Republican controlled states… Wisconsin which is completely controlled by Tea Party republicans is the only state to have actually lost jobs since they were elected into office. Yup the facts speak for themselves ..!!!

3. nothingchanges says:

Dan, It sounds like you would starve to death in a right to work state. You better stay in and on the t i t of California.

3. Matt says:

What taxes are unique to Sacramento that make this such a bad place to live? The value of my house has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of life here. I don’t get how Sacramento would be on this list? And I really don’t get the criteria they use. It’s a silly list.

4. rmcsticks says:

I have never lived in a city that had so many lazy people.

5. stan says:

talk iiveability. talk about crime. Sports teams come and go. Real estate has cycles – bad as this one may be. Jobs are lean everywhere. But ordinary citizens should expect and demand neighborhoods safe from gun toting teens.
    Where are the police stations in each neighborhood? Instead Sac Police are headquarted away from the neighborhoods they are sworn to protect. Its not the cops. Its the city council and mayor’s lack of vision.

where

6. justpassinthrough says:

It is quite obvious no one at Forbes has ever been to Paris Calif. that city is no doubt to low in their opinion to even drive through. Gads we are sooooooooo BLESSED to be where we are with Sac just across the causeway. I hate to drive in Sac so do my shopping in Vacaville.

7. sassafras says:

It is quite obvious no one at Forbes has ever been to Perris Calif. that city is no doubt to low in their opinion to even drive through. Gads we are sooooooooo BLESSED to be where we are with Sac just across the causeway. I hate to drive in Sac so do my shopping in Vacaville.

8. sassafras says:

Don’t know what I done dude, two same posts .

9. owl says:

Moved away from Sac 8 years ago and just recently moved back. I was struck by the degradation of this town in that period of time. Streets and roads barely passable. Neighborhoods once clean and nice now broken down and dangerous. Police and sheriffs departments poorly managed and incompetent.
    Business closing up or moving away. City government in complete disaray and poorly managed. The folks here got everything they voted for!

10. Neighborsvoice_in_Idaho says:

I grew up in this region. I’m 58 years old, and a 4th generation Californian. I have lived in Citrus Heights, Roseville, Granite Bay, Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova twice Sacramento twice and then finally Elk Grove before moving to Idaho last November. The City of Sacramento and the county supervisors have their head up their butt, misguided goals, and crime has never been worse. It is not getting any better. They think by making certain neighborhoods LOOK better that will make all the problems go away. The problem is the type of people that live in that region. The Sacramento area is the most diverse in the U.S. when it comes to minorities. Thats the problem. Low life minorities have invaded what was once a fantastic place tolive and grow up in. I moved to Idaho and the region/area I live in is 96% white. You should see the place. Little crime, great schools, very clean minded people too. They just don’t throw trash out the car window like you see in Calif. This area reminds me of where I grew up in back in the 50’s and early 60’s. Everybody is very friendly and outgoing. Unlike Calif, roadrage does not happen here. Gun laws are nothing compaired to Calif. I can own a machine gun if I want to. I say all coomon sense white people need to leave Calif and let that dirty state go to h3ll more than it has already. In fact …. give it back to Mexico.

1. Neighborsvoice_in_Idaho says:

A couple of typo’s there………. Sorry

11. anonymous says:

wow you’re racist thanks for leaving