Man’s Claim of Bear Rescue Could Be Hoax

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Sixty-nine-year-old Bob Biggs’ claims of a lion attack made national news. It was an astonishing attack, followed by an amazing rescue: by a bear.

“It was defending its cub, I think, and trying to save me,” said Biggs.

However, it seems Biggs failed to convince the Fish and Game Commission that a bear would rip a lion off his back.

“The evidence right now says inconclusive, but he lives in mountain lion country,” said Andrew Hughan, a spokesperson for the agency.

Biggs’ backpack has been taken to be tested for animal DNA, even though Fish and Game says they found just one tear on the bag.

The odds of a mountain lion attack are very low, but still possible. So what does Fish and Games have to say about the rescue?

“There’s never been a case we can document that one animal attacked another to save a person,” said Hughan.

Biggs’ theory, the bear protected him because it knew him from previous encounters.

“Bears do not have a memory of people,” said Hughan.

Biggs spoke to CBS13 over the phone today and he stands by his story.

“I’m not lying about this, anything about it, not one detail,” Biggs said over the phone.

So is it possible that Biggs’ imagination is sharper than his memory?

“The bear just kind of calmly got down on the ground and went back down to the beach,” said Biggs.

Comments

1. Giorsal says:

The disturbing part of all this is the fact that we have become so disconnected from our natural world that we’ve forgotten how it works. I work with animals and I know that ALL animals have memories of some kind, especially mammals. They offten associate their memories of humans with the interactions they had. So that officer needs to go study Animal Behaviour 101 to get a crash course on bear memory.

Secondly, I am really disturbed by the disparaging comments made about Mr. Biggs’ and his account. I would like to see half of you crazies do what he did without pulling out your iphones and posting nonsense on Facebook. Fact is, animals are animals and I believe this story because I know how the animal world works. It’s all about survival. Too bad you all don’t know that…I am ashamed of how ignorant people can be.

I’ve seen some crazy stuff happen out there–ANYTHING can happen, and while the bear was not necessarily acting in the interests of Mr Biggs, she most certainly saved his life because she wanted to save her cub.

LAST OF ALL HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN THE BATTLE AT KRUGER PARK VIDEO??? Oh yeah…lots of fake footage and photoshop there….the world has gone insane…

2. Grizzly Adams says:

This old man is nothing but a damn racist! The Mountain Lion has a right to be in the neighborhood just like that old man did, and he set that Mountain Lion up by profiling him, and then attacking him with that bear. There will be no justice until that bear and this man are arrested! Al Sharpton and Jesse are on their way. WE WILL ESCALATE until this man and his bear are put in a cage!

1. Yes says:

Putz…………….

3. Grizzly Adams says:

4. theJackal says:

First of all, the mamma bear would of torn this idiot asunder if he came anyway near the cub, in a heart beat. I can’t wait till he is disproved by DNA. Just an other liberal enviromentalist d-bag.

1. Yes says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dam liberals………..

5. lar says:

it’s nonsense, not news

6. max doggett says:

Anyone ever read Emory’s Gift? It’s a recent book about a bear that attacks a mountain lion to save a person.

7. Drake Jones says:

Grizzly Breath Adams, are those both your natural teeth?

1. Grizzly Adams says:

Yeah! And that’s my natural Beef jerky plowing you in the dirt star you bigot!

1. Yes says:

Bend over “Grizzly Adams” and take it like a man……………….

8. Allena Hansen says:

I. Bears do indeed have “a memory of people.” Ask anyone who has trained them.

2. The story is far-fetched, but plausible; although a possible interpretation is that the lion’s initial cursory “kill” explorations were thwarted when it sensed the presence of the bears– not that it was “driven off.”

3. The lion may not have “attacked” so much as glanced off Biggs as it was fleeing the previously-sensed mom-bear.

I wasn’t there, but as the survivor of a predatory bear attack, I can absolutely see a sow charging a lion to keep it from her cubs–irregardless of Bigg’s presence or not.

9. mike2 says:

How about the 70% of black bear cubs shouldnit we all be concerened about them they are no problem at all , it is their maurading parents who break into cabins, cars, tents, etc..
    Sound like anyone you know of the human species. Bears stay in their territory, the human maurading species get into everyones space if they can, take Stocckton Ca for example

10. (2012 phenomenon|2012 theories|end of the world theories) says:

I have fun with, result in I found exactly what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye