UPDATE: Teen Killed In Sacramento Officer-Involved Shooting
Don't Miss This
- Yuba City Officer, Woman Shot Overnight
- Roseville Cuddling Business In High Demand As Holiday Season Approaches
- Woodland Police Acquire MRAP Rejected By Davis City Council Amid Police Militarization Debate
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Sacramento police Sgt. Andrew Pettit confirmed that there was an officer-involved shooting on Teekay Way and Dixie Lou Street in south Sacramento.
On Saturday, Sacramento police say they were forced to fire when they encountered 17-year-old Asencion Herrera in the Meadowview area, who was carrying a rifle hidden in his pants.
Herrera and friend Arturo Istlas, 17, were walking down Teekay Way around 6 p.m.
Istlas says Herrera was guiding him on a walk around the block because he is legally blind.
Two Sacramento police officers tried to talk to the teens. However, when the officers approached, Herrera grabbed the rifle and a struggle ensued with one officer.
Herrera broke free but was shot dead by the other officer.
“They could have done better. They had so much they could have done instead of pulling on the trigger and shooting. That’s my friend and now he’s gone,” said Istlas.
Police confirm the assault rifle found on Herrara was a real gun.