UPDATE: Teen Killed In Sacramento Officer-Involved Shooting
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Sacramento police Sgt. Andrew Pettit confirmed that there was an officer-involved shooting on Teekay Way and Dixie Lou Street in south Sacramento.
On Saturday, Sacramento police say they were forced to fire when they encountered 17-year-old Asencion Herrera in the Meadowview area, who was carrying a rifle hidden in his pants.
Herrera and friend Arturo Istlas, 17, were walking down Teekay Way around 6 p.m.
Istlas says Herrera was guiding him on a walk around the block because he is legally blind.
Two Sacramento police officers tried to talk to the teens. However, when the officers approached, Herrera grabbed the rifle and a struggle ensued with one officer.
Herrera broke free but was shot dead by the other officer.
“They could have done better. They had so much they could have done instead of pulling on the trigger and shooting. That’s my friend and now he’s gone,” said Istlas.
Police confirm the assault rifle found on Herrara was a real gun.