Yuba City Big 5 Hostage Suspect Arraigned
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
YUBA CITY (CBS13) – The man accused of taking hostages inside a Yuba City sporting goods store was arraigned in Sutter County court Tuesday.
Juan Carlos Alvarez did not actually appear in court but was arraigned from the jail over a video feed.
The 29-year-old is accused of robbing the Big 5 Sporting Goods store and taking two employees hostage.
He allegedly fired a shot from a handgun before dragging a female employee through the store at gunpoint.
Both hostages were released and Alvarez was finally taken into custody after several tense hours.
The judge read Alvarez his charges through an interpreter, and Alvarez asked the judge two questions:
“How many people are accusing me?”
“I’m being charged with all that? That’s all?”
Alvarez faces more than 30 years in prison if convicted. He’s do back in court twice next week, on Wednesday and Thursday for a preliminary conference and hearing.