Mendocino County Fire Continues To Spread
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – A wildfire in a rugged and remote area of Mendocino County continues to spread into a wilderness area, though firefighters are making progress in surrounding the blaze.
Fire officials say the North Pass Fire, burning northeast of Covelo, is 48 percent contained after consuming nearly 62 square miles.
Five homes and seven outbuildings have been destroyed by the fire, while 23 homes and five commercial properties remained threatened.
Meanwhile, a Santa Rosa man is facing charges after authorities say he threatened a firefighter with a shotgun after the firefighter came upon a marijuana garden.
The firefighter was checking on damage and conducting fire suppression work in a mandatory evacuation area on Thursday when a man pointed the gun at the firefighter and told him to leave the area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.)