Mayor Kevin Johnson To Be Given Reward For His Green Thumb
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Mayor Kevin is being honored for his leadership and active role in creating a greener Sacramento.
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) announced it’s awarding Johnson the Richard M. Daley Award for Global Leadership in Creating Sustainable Cities. The award recognizing leaders in the evolution of green buildings and communities.
Since Mayor Johnson took office in 2008, he has devoted his time to making Sacramento an “Emerald City”. He envisions Sacramento as the hub for clean technology, and said in his acceptance statement that green efforts produce jobs.
“Green cities put people back to work and are key for economic growth,” said Mayor in his acceptance statement.
“Mayor Johnson has accomplished an unbelievable amount during his time in office, advancing green schools…and other sustainability initiatives…” said Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO and Founding Chair of USGBC. “We are fortunate to have leaders like Mayor Johnson…and we are honored to present him with this well-deserved award.”
USGBC believes that through Johnson’s leadership, Sacramento has taken bold steps to accomplishing its goal of being the greenest city.
Here are some of the green projects Mayor Johnson has been involved with:
- Launching Greenwise Joint Venture, a regional nonprofit organization dedicated to the goal of transforming the Sacramento area into the “Emerald Valley,” the greenest region in the country and a hub for clean technology;
- Committing to retrofit 12 million square feet of commercial property as one of the first five cities invited to participate in President Obama’s Better Buildings Challenge;
- Reducing the city’s carbon footprint by ending the practice of transporting waste out of state;
- Assisting to secure $280 million in federal funding for clean energy;
- Improving flood protection and completing of phases two and three of the Natomas Levee Improvement Program
This award is named for its first recipient, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. It will be presented to Johnson at the Greenbuild International Conference and Expo in San Francisco.
USGBC says it is dedicated to a prosperous and sustainable future through cost-efficient and energy-saving green buildings.