Wheatland Teen Killed After Honda Flips Onto Highway 70
Don't Miss This
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
- Sacramento Sheriff: Immigration Message to President Obama Was Nonpartisan
- Former FOX40 Anchor, Former Fiancé Enter ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas
- Musical Performers Announced For ‘Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show’
- Utah Woman Wears Colander For Driver’s License Photo As Religious Statement
OLIVEHURST (CBS13) – A 19-year-old passenger died after the car he was riding in lost control on Highway 65, became airborne and flipped onto its roof, sliding across Highway 70 in Yuba County Wednesday night.
The accident happened at about 8:35 p.m. at the Highway 65/70 split in the Olivehurst area. Passenger Rudy Sbin of Wheatland was ejected from the 1995 Honda Civic and died at the scene.
The driver, 20-year-old Richie Poth, was airlifted to Sutter Roseville Medical Center with what the California Highway Patrol called major injuries. Another passenger, 22-year-old Derek May of Wheatland, sustained moderate injuries.
The car was headed south on 65 when for an unknown reason, it started to drift and Poth lost control, hitting a guardrail then heading down an embankment, getting airborne, landing upside down on Highway 70 and sliding to a stop on the right shoulder, the CHP said.
Alcohol was not a factor in the accident, according to the CHP. Poth and May had their seat belts fastened but Sbin did not. Poth is not facing any charges.