Wheatland Teen Killed After Honda Flips Onto Highway 70
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
OLIVEHURST (CBS13) – A 19-year-old passenger died after the car he was riding in lost control on Highway 65, became airborne and flipped onto its roof, sliding across Highway 70 in Yuba County Wednesday night.
The accident happened at about 8:35 p.m. at the Highway 65/70 split in the Olivehurst area. Passenger Rudy Sbin of Wheatland was ejected from the 1995 Honda Civic and died at the scene.
The driver, 20-year-old Richie Poth, was airlifted to Sutter Roseville Medical Center with what the California Highway Patrol called major injuries. Another passenger, 22-year-old Derek May of Wheatland, sustained moderate injuries.
The car was headed south on 65 when for an unknown reason, it started to drift and Poth lost control, hitting a guardrail then heading down an embankment, getting airborne, landing upside down on Highway 70 and sliding to a stop on the right shoulder, the CHP said.
Alcohol was not a factor in the accident, according to the CHP. Poth and May had their seat belts fastened but Sbin did not. Poth is not facing any charges.