Wheatland Teen Killed After Honda Flips Onto Highway 70
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
OLIVEHURST (CBS13) – A 19-year-old passenger died after the car he was riding in lost control on Highway 65, became airborne and flipped onto its roof, sliding across Highway 70 in Yuba County Wednesday night.
The accident happened at about 8:35 p.m. at the Highway 65/70 split in the Olivehurst area. Passenger Rudy Sbin of Wheatland was ejected from the 1995 Honda Civic and died at the scene.
The driver, 20-year-old Richie Poth, was airlifted to Sutter Roseville Medical Center with what the California Highway Patrol called major injuries. Another passenger, 22-year-old Derek May of Wheatland, sustained moderate injuries.
The car was headed south on 65 when for an unknown reason, it started to drift and Poth lost control, hitting a guardrail then heading down an embankment, getting airborne, landing upside down on Highway 70 and sliding to a stop on the right shoulder, the CHP said.
Alcohol was not a factor in the accident, according to the CHP. Poth and May had their seat belts fastened but Sbin did not. Poth is not facing any charges.