GALT (CBS/AP) — The suspect in the fatal shooting of an animal control officer trying to retrieve pets from a Galt home was taken into custody early Thursday morning after an all-night standoff lasting, authorities said.

Joseph Francis Corey, 65, was arrested around 5 a.m. by members of a SWAT team that had managed to get access to the home’s garage, according to Sacramento County Sheriff’s Sgt. Jason Ramos.

joseph corey UPDATE: Man Accused Of Shooting And Killing Animal Control Officer In Galt Arrested

Joseph Francis Corey

Ramos said Corey was unaware of the officers’ presence. They rushed him when he went to retrieve one of his dogs and took him into custody before he could retreat.

He was taken to a hospital as a precaution, Ramos said.

The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has identified the slain Sacramento County animal control officer as Roy Curtis Marcum, 45, of Elk Grove.

At around noon Wednesday, police had surrounded the two-story house in Galt after the police department’s call for mutual aid.

Corey had been evicted from the home on Tuesday, when a deputy accompanied a locksmith. Ramos said Corey’s home had been taken over by a bank in 2011. The Sacramento County Assessor’s Office said Citibank is the current owner.

On Wednesday, Marcum, who also was accompanied by two locksmiths hired by the bank, went there to tend to the pets after Corey had apparently complained he had nowhere to take the animals, according to Galt police.

When the men knocked, Corey fired a shotgun blast through the door, hitting the officer’s torso, Ramos said.

The other two men were able to run from the area and waive down a passing police volunteer who helped pull the mortally wounded officer to safety.

Marcum was taken to a nearby church where lifesaving efforts were conducted; however, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dozens of officers from several police agencies descended on the home. Over the next few hours, negotiators attempted to make contact with Corey. Finally at 5 p.m., they were able to make contact with Corey who was believed to be still inside the home.

“Kind of scary that somebody would go to those lengths … for dogs and upset about not having a place to live,” neighbor Adam Imler said.

After two short conversations with Corey, officers were not able to re-establish contact with him, nor was Corey responding to PA announcements.

At 10:30 p.m., officers fired tear gas into the home, but had no effect. Corey remained inside.

On Thursday at 5 a.m., Corey moved from the living room of the home to the garage. But unbeknownst to Corey, officers were in the garage waiting, and as he tried to go back inside, they fired a stun gun at him and took him into custody.

Neighbors from more than a dozen nearby homes were evacuated.

“I’ve seen him out working on vehicles and stuff like that, didn’t personally know him,” neighbor Melanie Harvey said. “He didn’t stand out. Quiet house.”

Ramos said it was not known what exactly set Corey off.

“What made him take the actions Wednesday that he didn’t take Tuesday when officers had contact with him, who knows?” Ramos said.

Corey will be booked into the Sacramento Main Jail on a charge of murder.

“Terrifying, shocking and scary,” Harvey said of the 17-hour ordeal. “All the kids were getting out of school at that time.”

“It’s kind of unbelievable,” Imler said. “It’s pretty quiet around here.”

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s