Local

Sacramento Denied Refund For Delayed Fireworks Show Costing Thousands

View Comments
Smoke From Fireworks
Don't Miss This

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The city of Sacramento won’t get getting back tens of thousands of dollars it paid for a New Year’s Eve fireworks show canceled Monday night after a deadly shooting at a nearby bar.

The Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau says the city paid $65,000 for a New Year’s Eve party in Old Sacramento that included fireworks. Earlier in the night, a fireworks display was put on for kids and those turning in early, but a second fireworks display, which was scheduled for midnight, never happened — at least not on schedule.

Fireworks explode over Old Sacramento Tuesday morning

At around 9:30 p.m. Monday, just shortly after the first fireworks show, an argument erupted at the Sports Corner Cafe on the corner of 2nd and K Streets. It quickly escalated into a fight and ended with a man shooting four people, including a security guard who returned fire, hitting the suspect.

The suspect ran from the bar but was arrested a short time later. He was taken to the hospital to be treated and remains in police custody. His name hasn’t been released. The security guard is also being treated at an area hospital. The extent of his injuries are unknown.

As a result of the shooting, the streets were cleared and festivities were canceled.

The pyrotechnics company had to go to is next event and said the fireworks were too dangerous to dismantle, so at around 8 a.m. Tuesday, workers launched a 15-minute fireworks show in broad daylight to nearly empty streets.

As for a refund, the company says it only issues them in the case of bad weather.

Local Reaction To Shooting

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus