Old Sacramento Bar Reopens After New Year’s Eve Shooting
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – An Old Sacramento bar is back in business after a horrific New Year’s Eve shooting.
A bar fight turned into a deadly encounter at the Sports Corner Cafe on the corner of 2nd and K Streets after a man with a gun killed two people and shot three others.
Weeks later, the cafe is serving up drinks and trying to serve up a sense of normalcy. Inside the neighborhood bar you’ll see the type of action it’s used to. Sports are on the TV and patrons are mingling while sipping spirits and eating up good conversation. It’s a far cry from the violence that erupted inside the popular bar on New Year’s Eve.
One woman who was at the bar when the shooting sent partiers scrambling, found it tough to come back.
“It was just really upsetting. It bothers me more so for the families,” the woman said.
One of victims is still being honored outside the establishment with a letter. It was written by security guard Daniel Ferrier before the shooting, and talks about the joys of life.
Others who walked past the happy hour sign outside talked about the joys of being back to a place, they say, ironically enough, brings them peace.
“It’s pleasant, very calming; it’s not overcrowded; it’s not,” one patron said. “I would recommend somebody come down here.”
CBS13 cameras were not allowed inside the bar Wednesday because the owner said he wasn’t ready. The bartender said he also was not ready to talk, which is understandable considering the magnitude of the tragedy.