Modesto Squatters Arrested For Child Endangerment; Lived In ‘Horrid’ Conditions
Don't Miss This
- Turlock Designer’s Idea Puts Quick, Complex Games In Your Pocket
- How Did Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte Hide In United States Illegally Until Deputy Killings?
- Gas Station Robber Regrets Taking Money, Returns It And Apologizes Hours Later
- Feds Issue Warning: Please Stop Taking Selfies With Bears
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
Get Breaking News First
Modesto (CBS13) – A couple squatting in a Modesto home has been arrested Thursday on charges of child endangerment for living in “horrid and very unsafe” conditions, police say.
John Oliver, 39, and his girlfriend, 40-year-old Angelica Madrigal, were found by police illegally living with a 3-year-old child in the abandoned home in the 700 block of West Union in Modesto.
Complaints began several weeks ago of squatters moving into the abandoned home after the previous owner passed away, officials say.
Thursday, officers went to the home with a contractor and city officials to board up the home. After a security check, police discovered the couple and child in the home.
“There were uncapped needles all around the home,” Officer John Wohler said. “There was human waste all over the residence and it appears they lit a fire in a fireplace that was unsafe and could have caused a structure fire.”
Madrigal and Oliver were arrested and booked for child endangerment and illegal lodging. The 3-year-old was turned over to Child Protective Services.
The home is now boarded up, police say.