Modesto Squatters Arrested For Child Endangerment; Lived In ‘Horrid’ Conditions
Don't Miss This
- Kings Rally Late, Win Vegas Summer Title
- 40-Year-Old Mom With Two Kids Becomes NFL Cheerleader
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
Get Breaking News First
Modesto (CBS13) – A couple squatting in a Modesto home has been arrested Thursday on charges of child endangerment for living in “horrid and very unsafe” conditions, police say.
John Oliver, 39, and his girlfriend, 40-year-old Angelica Madrigal, were found by police illegally living with a 3-year-old child in the abandoned home in the 700 block of West Union in Modesto.
Complaints began several weeks ago of squatters moving into the abandoned home after the previous owner passed away, officials say.
Thursday, officers went to the home with a contractor and city officials to board up the home. After a security check, police discovered the couple and child in the home.
“There were uncapped needles all around the home,” Officer John Wohler said. “There was human waste all over the residence and it appears they lit a fire in a fireplace that was unsafe and could have caused a structure fire.”
Madrigal and Oliver were arrested and booked for child endangerment and illegal lodging. The 3-year-old was turned over to Child Protective Services.
The home is now boarded up, police say.